Professor Donald Wiseman RIP

by Earnest 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Earnest
    Earnest

Earlier this month (2nd February) Donald Wiseman died at the age of 91. He was involved in excavations in Iraq, Turkey and Israel and produced major studies of cuneiform texts as well as works on the history of Assyria and Babylonia. He also wrote several commentaries on the Old Testament and was involved in the translation of the NIV.

The Watchtower Society has apparently held him in high esteem and his studies of the cuneiform texts and knowledge of the history of Assyria and Babylonia have been referred to, especially in discussion of the chronological calculations. While he did not seem to engage in end-time speculation he did recommend the publication 'The Gentile Times Reconsidered' by Carl Jonsson.

In many respects he is part of a past age - a scholar, a christian and a gentleman - and we are the poorer for his passing.

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks Earnest,

I missed his obit, I do not get a newspaper everyday as they won't deliver, i have to collect from the vilage store.

I am familiar with some of his work, a scholar with akeen and open mind, he will be missed.

Sadly too , many university departments that deal in ancient writings are under threat because of budget cuts etc.

We shall be the poorer for it.

love

Wobble

• Earnest
    Earnest

He stood on the shoulders of giants who included Kathleen Kenyon who trained him in archaeology and Professor G.R. Driver who taught him Hebrew. And in turn he became a giant himself on whose shoulders others stood.

As you say, a study of ancient writings is not as valued as it was and perhaps most of the work regarding cuneiform tablets has been completed. Yet there are still fresh discoveries and scholars such as Oded Lipschits who continue the long line of witnesses that the stones themselves cry out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit