Leaving bethel References ?

by leo999 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leo999
    leo999

I would like to know from anyone who has left Bethel . Do the brothers give the people leaving Bethel an employment reference , and how is it worded ? I would prefer to think that if someone is asked to leave due to downsizing , or restructuring , that the bros do everything they can to enable that one to find employment and cope outside . Are they given any other provisions or money when they leave ?

Thanks ,

Leo999

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

NO!

I was only there 2 years but, I never heard of any of the cats that I knew to get references from them. At best they would probably give you an open letter that states you served as a volunteer for X amount of time.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Yes, they give you a letter. It states that WT would hire you again. (If you leave on good terms.)

Separately, they instruct you, specifically, that it would be inappropriate to refer to your time at Bethel as anything other than "volunteer work". IMHO, they do this for legal/tax reasons. They don't want the IRS to see a discrepancy between how they report your activity and how you'll report your activity.

I've never known an ex-Bethelite to actually follow those instructions. It's hard to gain employment when you tell prospective employeers that you've been doing "volunteer work".

In my own case, I was doing IT work at Bethel for several years. So, on my resume, I list it as such.

• MochaLatte
    MochaLatte

I concur with leavingwt, that's the type of letter I received when I left.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Bogus I didn't get nada ;-(

LOL

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Sup mocha!

• MochaLatte
    MochaLatte

Nothin much. Dreaming of warmer climes.

Share this

Google+