What proof for 6000 years of human existence?

by startingovernow 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

I noticed this paragraph in Blondie's comments:

Q 5. What has especially distressed Jehovah?

5. Satan's revolt is still going strong. For some 6,000 years, Jehovah has observed acts of idolatry, violence, murder, and sexual perversion. (Gen. 6:5, 6, 11, 12) Furthermore, he has heard despicable lies and blasphemies. Even God's own true worshippers have on occasion hurt his feelings. The Bible describes one such situation with the words: "How often they would rebel against him in the wilderness, they would make him feel hurt in the desert! And again and again they would put God to the test, and they pained even the Holy One of Israel." (Ps. 78:40, 41) The pain that Jehovah feels when his people reject him is certainly great. (Jer. 3:110) Clearly, bad things happen, and Jehovah feels deeply distressed when they do. -Read Isaiah 63:9, 10.

This was strange to me. In all the years I was a JW, I don't remember much emphasis on this number, but I came in well after 1975. I looked at my CD-rom and all I saw was a chart of dates (1975 being associated with 6000 years) but no references or proof of this statement. Where do they get this from???

• cofty
    cofty

They basically accept the calculations of Irish Bishop James Ussher who in 1640 counted up all the begats in Genesis and decided that Aam was created at 9am on the twenty-third of October, 4004 BC

I don't think they have ever been silly enough to attempt to explain it.

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Hi starting.. In the red book 1969 called "Life Everlasting in Freedom Of The Sons Of God" they have a chart from Bishop Ussher, who did a time line all the way back to Adam's creation 4,000 years B.C.E. plus 2,000 yrs since Jesus' time equals 6,000 years.

IF YOU WANT TO BELIEVE USSHER!!! Google the book for more info.

Blueblades

• sspo
    sspo

No proof at all !

According to what the wacthtower says the flood happened in the year 2370 bce.....that's only 4300 years ago.

They found many Indian villages in the US as old as 11000 years and known fact that Chinese have been around for at least

5500 years. Numbers just don't add!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Where do they get this from???

I asked this question myself back in 1975.

After thorough research from within WTS. literature and outside from theological chronological research

it was all dishonest fabrication put out by the WTS leaders.

Sunrising enough they got away with, unfortunately the years following that year the JWS

lost the highest percentage of members in their entire history.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

The proof that is used comes from the bible.

If you believe the bible to be an historically accurate book, then you will also believe that man has only been around for 6,000 years or so.

If you believe the bible, but you also are a somewhat rational human being who also attaches some credence to the findings of scientists, archeologists and secular historians, yet still wants desperately to believe the bible is special - you will also find a way to dismiss this innacuracy with some kind of rationalization, so as not to discredit anything else that the bible contains.

Rinse and repeat on several other issues.

just sayin'

The Oracle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit