Anyone on this board who was/is in my old congregation?

by bulgogiboy 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• bulgogiboy
    bulgogiboy

Hey all,

I'm really keen to hear from anyone who was or still is in my old KH at St.Andrews in Scotland. If anyone is still in and wants to chat without the risk of being identified thats fine, we can talk anonymously...

Failing that, I'm keen to speak to anyone from Scotland who knew/knows the jws at St.Andrews KH.

Pm me if you like

• looloo
    looloo

hi where in scotland is that ? anywhere near stornaway ?

• bulgogiboy
    bulgogiboy

Oh no, you're way off, Stornoway is waaaaay up north, on the isle of Lewis . St.Andrews is in Fife, on the east coast, think Golf and posh uni students!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I've always wondered if there were ever any in my old congs as well, I did meet with one on here, the less said about that though

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

They used to call me Brother Craig Ferguson back then, cheeky monkey!

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

bulgogiboy

My wife, Joy, daughter, Joanna (died in 1976, aged 4) and I (John Tait) were in St Andrews in 1972/3 and attended the hall. I was a third generation born-in. DAd in 2003. Now an active Scottish Humanist

We were friendly with the late Jimmy Boyd and his wife Betty and their 2 boys. I studied with Graham Leitch, who was a clever guy, studying Biochemistry at the uni. He married a Swiss fellow student who was deaf. They have at least one child. I believe he's still in the cultl. There was a 'nutter' family - the Williamsons. I remember the Nellyers.

I helped run the John Smith & Son University bookshop in South Street during our stay - we lived in the flat above the shop at first, before buying a house on the outskirts of town. Several JWs ridiculed me for working in a bookshop, as we sold textbooks about evolution, geological facts that denied the Noachian flood, etc. I was just 21 at the time and didn't know how best to handle the opposition!

We all enjoyed living there, and still like to visit on a weekend with one of our 3 grandchildren - flying kites on the beach and putting in the Old Course putting green.

I'm interested in finding out more about your stay in Turkey - one of our favourite holiday destinations. I recall that you posted on a thread I started about relocating there towards the end of 2009. I'm still semi-serious about that, so any info you have would be warmly received, especially Aegean or Mediterranean Turkey. The only way this is likely to happen is if we live reasonably near a KH, as my wife is still in the cult. My efforts, to date, to educate her to reject cult mind-control have still to bear fruit.

lifelong humanist

lifelong humanist

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

Bulgogiboy.. My hubby and I along with my brother in law and his wife used to holiday in St Andrews every year. The last time we were there was about 3/4yrs agao. My Brother in law insisted that him and his wife attended all the meetings, even the Tuesday group while they were there. You may remember him........his name is Paul Barrie. His parents are Peter and Nan Barrie...all from the Bishopbriggs congregation in Glasgow. He is an Elder and testified against his brother (my husband) at his Judicial Committee just over a year ago.

We never went to meetings while on holiday but I have been in the Kingdom Hall in St Andrews at least once. We used to go regaularly to the wee restaurant across from the car park. Cant remember what is called. We have fond memories of the place and it is still one of my favourite place to visit.

• bulgogiboy
    bulgogiboy

Lifelong humanist: John, thanks for your reply. Can I first give my sincere condolences for the loss of your daughter, I've never had kids myself but I'm sure that kind of pain never truly goes away.

And regarding the Williamsons, you mean you only met 1 'nutter' family at St.Ands KH?? I knew of several hehe I left quite a few years before Jimmy Boyd passed away, didnt really know him very well. His son Jonathan always seemed like a decent sort, I got on ok with him.

You helped run a book shop? A book shop with books not published by the WTBTS? Absolutely shameful, I hope you didnt actually read any of them?? Hehe

St.Ands is a lovely town for sure, I just finished my masters there a few months ago, and made good use of the pub and restaurant facilities(I still do sometimes too!). Would be good if we could meet up next time you're up there, although i'm quite keen on avoiding anyone else you're with if they are going to give me daggers and scream "apostate" at me

As for Turkey, I'd be really happy to give you some info on it. I lived there for over 18 months, took a course in Turkish language alongside working(as well as studying hard at home) got engaged to a very well-educated and liberal Turkish girl from a wealthy family (and then later separated -long story) and did my masters thesis on the issues surrounding Turkish secularism, nationalism and political Islam. I dont think i'm being arrogant in saying that I know more about Turkey than the average Westerner. The place I know best is Ankara, the capital, where I lived, but I also spent some time in Istanbul and Marmaris on the Aegean coast, and I taught students and dated girls from all over Turkey so I know a fair amount about different cities just from listening to the Turks talk about them.

I think I can give you a good all-round evaluation of life in Turkey, and I'm keen to hear more about you too, so just pm me and we can chat on msn or facebook if you like .

Iknowall: Sorry, I dont Know Paul Barrie, I havent been along to the KH for almost 8 yrs. If you went every year for quite a while then it's more than likely we brushed past each other in the KH!

The name of the restaurant is 'Ziggys', and they do really good burgers, dont they? I was just in there ar new year for lunch, its a lovely little place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit