Parallels to Galations 4:17

by Truthexplorer 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

In my daily reading of the KJV bible, I came across the scripture at Gal 4:17.

In reading in context, it would appear that anyone who did not agree with the Galation congregation and their teachings would be excluded. Apparently there were a number of infuential individuals who were harking back to the mosaic law and that Christians in that congregation were to fall in line otherwise they were out on their ear (excluded); - a my way or the highway attitude that seemed to be manifesting itself, something that Paul was trying to address.

It is incredible to think that this very thing is happening throughout the Congregations of Jehovahs Witnesses worlwide today...ie you must accept without question the societies teachings and interpretation of scripture for fear of being excluded (disfellowshipped). The fear of being excluded prevents many from pursuing truth because you will be perceived to be an enemy just as Paul was viewed by some of these influential ones within the Galatian Congregation (Gal 4:16). We are unable to talk openly as to what we consider to be truths, but rather continue to tow the line by slaving for the WT Org, a form of zeal that is only acceptable to them.

Can anyone else see the parallels?

TE

• andy5421
    andy5421

You have to remember the circumstances for this: The Gauls had overrun(conquered) and some became converts to Christianity. Apparently Judaizers(opposeres of Paul and his teaching) were trying to get the worshippers of Jehovah(converts) to side with them in their teachings(keeping the circumcision issue alive after it had been settled) and perhaps succumbing to low moral standards (Gal 5:13)

As 4:16, 17 reads:

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

17They zealously affect(mistreat) you, [but] not well; yea, they would exclude you, that ye might affect them.

KJV

now the NWT:

16 Well, then, have I become YOUR enemy because I tell YOU the truth? 17 They zealously seek YOU, not in a fine way, but they want to shut YOU off [from me], that YOU may zealously seek them.

The NWT is certainly easier to understand than the KJV, anyway, most likely these opposers tried to dissuade, new converts and those in Christianity alike to stop listening to Paul and follow them.

• Perry
    Perry
    Apparently Judaizers(opposeres of Paul and his teaching) were trying to get the worshippers of Jehovah(converts) to side with them in their teachings(keeping the circumcision issue alive after it had been settled) and perhaps succumbing to low moral standards (Gal 5:13)

Nice Topic. Thanks TruthExplorer.

I don't think that Paul was talking specifically about circumcision in this case;but rather an entire WAY OF LIFE.

Galatians 4:

21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?
    22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid °, the other by a freewoman.
    23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
    24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one ° from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
    25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
    26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. - [US = MEMEBERS OF THE NEW COVENANT]
    27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
    28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
    29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
    30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

So, Paul was here reminding [because it really is hard to believe] Christians of two things:

1. They were freed from the Law (Rules) ....totally. Rules are now an unnecessary restriction; rules are for babies .... (No, no).

2. Those born after the Spirit cannot sin (in the spirit, but only in the flesh)

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    Romans 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

1 John 3: 9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

The Galatians were just baby Christians and were still trying to figure out what exactly had happened to them. Paul and others cleared that up. Conversely, the real problem with the JW's is that they cut themselves of from the Spirit of God by rejecting the New Covenant, the only accessible way to get it. As a result JW's are left with the task of "trying to be good", and thus are not Christian at all.

Good luck to them. It was a miserable disaster for the 8 years that I tried it. It has also been a disaster for the 6 generations of my family members who tried it as well.

On the issue of worshipping Jehovah:

Christians weren't worshipping Jehovah per se, they were worshipping the living breathing great I AM who manifested himself in the flesh:

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

John 9:38 And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.

Heb 1: 5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.

On the issue of the NWT:

King James vs. New World Translation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit