I have an idea for a project which I would like create or contribute to in the future.
This is what I have in mind.
- Present a brief story of the JW movement, who they are, what are their core believes, etc.
- Get a couple of good life stories from the following type of people:
· “Born ins” – what was it like to grow up as a JW, the challenges, the emotions, etc.
· “Converts” – how did you came across the JW, what was your life at that point, what attracted you to the religion, what did you have to give up, your non-JW family reaction, etc.
· “Leaders” – former elders, bethalites, CO, etc. what was your experience serving in that capacity, why did you choose that “privilege”, etc.
· “active members” –who are disillusioned, struggling to stay in. What is keeping you in? or Why can’t you just leave?, etc. of course, for the active members…your identity will be protected.
- After presenting life stories (documentary style) we’ll proceed to explain what your turning point was. When did you arrive to your own “crisis of conscience”? What made you leave? Etc. · What was your experience like? When you expressed your doubts? Committed a mistake? etc
· Your DA letter and your JC experience
- The shunning experience
· Of course, feelings, emotions, how is your relationship with your JW family? Former friends reaction when they see your? Child custody battles, divorces, etc.
- Life after leaving….
· What is your life like? How did you make the transition? What are your fiends like? Did you go to school? Hobbies, etc..
· Did you seek consoling, what helped you recover, etc.
· What is your faith like now? Do you belong to a church?
· If none, what turned you into an atheist, agnostic, etc.
- Looking back and forward.
- What would make made it an ‘ideal’ or good (not perfect) religion?
- Would you go back?
I’d like to include interviews with professionals such as Steve Hassan, and other mental health professionals familiar with the psychological problems that members of the JW religion and other cults suffer.
The documentary will be non-for-profit, and intended for the internet. If a distributor wants to pick it up for tv, sales, etc…then that’s a different story. Promotion will primarily be digital, blogs, xjw cites, facebook, youtube, etc.
My background (what I do for a living) is strong enough to allow me to get this project started from inception to the end, including marketing. I just don’t have the time right now, but I’d like to get things together. Filming, editing, and releasing on-line will take 6 to 9 months.
What are you comments?