when something bad happens in your life

by rockmehardplace 9 Replies latest jw friends

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

when something bad happened in your life or someone that you knew, did anyone ever say it was because you/that person must be doing something wrong and that Jehovah stopped blessing you/that person?

• rockmehardplace
    rockmehardplace

wow, the responses roll in. lol. why i ask, since i have faded, i had an issue where several things went wrong right in a row. i was told by a family member that it was perhaps related to the fact that i may not have jehovah's blessing anymore since i am not attending meetings.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I think this is called confirmation bias. You can expect the JWs to ignore your future good fortunes, as this doesn't fit their worldview.

Some folks are more superstitious than others.

Some JWs would refuse to shop at garage sales, but they would buy used cars.

Go figure.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    when something bad happened in your life or someone that you knew, did anyone ever say it was because you/that person must be doing something wrong and that Jehovah stopped blessing you/that person?

Lots of people, not just JWs, think if something bad happens to you that you must have been doing something wrong or that you didn't have God's protection. It's common. Believing the other guy had it coming is a survival mechanism that prevents us from dwelling on all the oogie crap that can happen in life at any given time.

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

I was going to answer this earlier but I had a phone call with a client!

Believing that god has stopped blessing us and thats why bad things happen is something that is used by some people as a coping response, but its a negative one.

From the person dishing out this they are religionizing the issue. Its a form of intimidation and abuse

If something bad happens ask youself the following questions:

Why did it happen?

What did I do or not do?

What can I do differently next time to make sure it doesn't happen again?

If you were at fault, stand up and take responsibility. Learn from your mistakes

Above all remember to be honest, respect yourself and others.

Sometimes there will be things that happen that you have no control of. Accept it, but it doesn't mean you aren't in control of your own path.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

It's easy to thank God for all that is good and blame Satan for all that is bad.

It's easy to think you're blessed by God when you think you're doing His will, and be cursed by God when you think you've failed.

Remember Job. He was a favorite of God's, but He let Satan screw up his life pretty good. Was that because Job stopped going to meetings?

I had one of the most hellish childhoods imaginable, while being raised in the truth, victimized by an elder. Was that because I stopped going to meetings?

No. God causes rain to fall on the good and the wicked alike.

I would stop using my time trying to figure out the will of invisible spirit creatures. That takes too much time away from focusing on how to get my life in shape.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They always blame you, because you were not doing enough for that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag that is never satisfied. They also claim that Satan will flee if you are doing enough--Satan is always blamed when obstacles are put in the way. Never do they stop and think that most of what goes wrong in so many witlesses' lives is because the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger demands so damn much of your time and resources, that they don't leave you with enough.

• megaflower
    megaflower

Yes, we have. We had an elder approach us once and said, "you must have really gotten Jehovah mad at you because look at all the things that has been happening to you guys." It was a very difficult time for us, my son was very ill and we got no support from the cong or elders.

• xmkx
    xmkx

I remember this as being a common outlook among the JWs. Indeed, it is a negative and unhealthy outlook to have, especially when one gets in to the mode of thinking where everything bad that happens is Satan's fault and everything good that happens is from Jehovah or that Jehovah punishes you for completely unrelated behavior by having bad things happen.

When something bad happens, it's more productive and healthier to look at it as a learning experience. You may have done something to cause that bad thing to happen or you may have done nothing at all to cause it, but the fact is it is still an event that can be learned from.

Example: I get robbed while walking down the sidewalk. Obviously, I did not do anything to cause it. However, I can learn from it. There may have been safety precautions I could have taken to help prevent the robbery, or I can learn not to be so attached to material possessions, or I could even learn about the different factors that may have influenced that person to steal from another (drugs, poverty, poor morals, etc.) and gain a better understanding of behavior that is out of the norm for me. Either way I can use that event to facilitate my own personal growth.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I heard that a lot..

My family would Screw me Over,for not being a JW..

Then say I was unhappy because I was`nt a JW..

I was unhappy because they would`nt stop causing problems..

AssH*les!!..

........................ ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit