weeping and a gnashing

by semelcred 4 Replies latest jw friends

• semelcred
    semelcred

The evil slave class are thrown out and start to gnash their teeth. The FD slave have concluded in the past this applies to Christendom and apostates. I refuse to be labelled as the evil slave class and certainly cannot describe "coming to my senses" as being thrown out by the master. How can we the 'apostate class' along with the ever increasing great crowd of 'other conscience class' critically examine whether or not we are fulfilling this scripture? To be honest i would not go back in, as everlasting life with the 'elder class' would be hell, but i do wonder? any thoughts

• sd-7
    sd-7

Matthew 24:48-51:

"But if ever that evil slave should say in his heart, 'My master is delaying,' and should start to beat his fellow slaves and should eat and drink with the confirmed drunkards, the master of that slave will come on a day he does not expect and in an hour that he does not know, and will punish him with the greatest severity and will assign him his part with the hypocrites. There is where [his] weeping and the gnashing of [his] teeth will be."

There are a number of things to be taken from this set of verses. First, we observe that the evil slave says in his heart, 'My master is delaying.' This implies in itself that the evil slave was expecting the master to arrive at a specific time. That is the only reason he would assume his master was delaying. Who has been guilty of expecting Jesus to arrive at a specific time? Apostates? Nope. The Society has been, though.

The evil slave, as a result of his wrong expectations, then concludes that he can now assume the role of the master, as the master is not present. He proceeds to beat his fellow slaves, thus feeling that he is not accountable to the master for his actions. In short, he believes that he is the master. Do apostates believe themselves to be in the Master's place? Or do they genuinely look to Jesus Christ above the authority of any man? I can't speak for everyone, but certainly my own research has helped me to appreciate the need to do that more than ever. Does the Society engage in verbal abuse of those who do not meet their demands? Does the Society expect obedience that belongs to the Christ? Do they equate themselves with Christ? Food for thought.

The evil slave also eats and drinks with the confirmed drunkards. He lives a life of debauchery and greed. People who leave Jehovah's Witnesses may end up falling into sinful conduct, but so can people who are still Jehovah's Witnesses. This proves nothing about either group. The real issue here is that this evil slave has an attitude of complete disregard for the master. Do apostates turn Jesus' own words into something they don't mean, perhaps even putting words in his mouth? Would that be an attitude of disregard for the Master?

When the master arrives, the evil slave will be unprepared, spiritually asleep. He will be assigned his part with the hypocrites--those who say one thing and do another, those who have double standards. Unlike the faithful slave, who carries out his assignment without fixation on the hour of his master's return, the evil slave is unduly focused on time, on how soon the master will come, rather than on his duties. While he impatiently watches for his master, faithful servants are busy doing their jobs, so that when the master returns, he will see that his house is as he left it. The evil slave claims to be in the master's place, running the household--perhaps even justifies his beating of fellow slaves as 'necessary discipline' that the master authorized him to do. Perhaps his harsh rulership keeps his fellow slaves in fear of him instead of the master. But the master's return catches him unready to justify his actions--he gets caught right in the middle of his self-centered hypocrisy. Then he gets thrown out with the rest of the hypocrites, where he can complain about it for the rest of eternity.

Put it all together. Does the Governing Body fit this description? Do those who leave Jehovah's Witnesses fit it? It's up to each of us to make that determination for ourselves.

SD-7

• Chalam
    Chalam

To be honest i would not go back in, as everlasting life with the 'elder class' would be hell, but i do wonder? any thoughts

The weeping and gnashing of teeth clearly does describe the torment of Hell, the second death.

Matthew 8:12 (New International Version)

12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Matthew 13:42 (New International Version)

42 They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 22:13 (New International Version)

13 "Then the king told the attendants, 'Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

Matthew 24:51 (New International Version)

51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 25:30 (New International Version)

30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

Luke 13:24-28 (New International Version)

He said to them, 24 "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 25 Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, 'Sir, open the door for us.'
    "But he will answer, 'I don't know you or where you come from.'

26 "Then you will say, 'We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.'

27 "But he will reply, 'I don't know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!'

28 "There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out.

Matthew 13:49-51 (New International Version)

49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

51 "Have you understood all these things?" Jesus asked.
    "Yes," they replied.

Notice Jesus checks that everyone has understood clearly what He has described.

Notice also verse 28 from the Luke passage.

28 "There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out.

Now read Jesus' words here.

Luke 16:22-31 (New International Version)

22 "The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In hell, [ a ] where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

25 "But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

27 "He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

29 "Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'

30 " 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'

31 "He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

Blessings,

Stephen

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

sd-7 has the interpretation I'm leaning toward. The scripture hasn't been fulfilled yet as far as the weeping and gnashing of teeth goes but the evil slave is present and is beating his fellow slaves.

• semelcred
    semelcred

thanks some good points and ones that make sense! When i look back at some of the WT history they have expected the master and made comment to say he is here. When he has not come instead of being humbles they have allowed the flock to take the blame for running ahead or just behaved down right arrogantly. Ray Franz and this business of the london bethel apostasy if it can be verified is an example of blatant and down right bullying!!!! I have no shame in how i feel, in fact i feel more like william tyndale and galilaeo now than ever. Apologies for spellin xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit