JW Baptism speel

by kzjw 8 Replies latest jw friends

• kzjw
    kzjw

I was baptized in 1965 at age 6 after coming before my congregation, professing my love of God and acknowledging Christ sacrifice. I was baptized "in the name of the Father,Son & Holy Ghost", and 44 years later, I have never forgotten that blessed event.

My wife, however studied for years, answered the baptism candidate questions, hit the baptism pool at an assembly and can't remember hers.

Where can I find the statements used by jw's at baptism? I know there was one used before a certain date, and the one used today. Can someone please post them here so that I may prove to my wife that she pledged her faith to man and not God?

Thanx in advance....

• yknot
    yknot

As of June 1985......

*** w85 6/1 p. 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication ***

At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ’s example.

The first question is:

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?

Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

Now as to what if anything is said while being immersed..... all I have witnessed the dunking brothers say nothing but instruction on how to hold you nose and arms.

• yknot
    yknot

From May 73-May 85

*** w73 5/1 p. 280 par. 25 Baptizing Follows Discipling ***

25 After considering what has been published on the preceding pages, if you are one who has been learning and you wish to observe the commandments of Jesus Christ, what should you do? Peter reminds you that the way is open to you; Jehovah wants you to come into harmony with him: “Jehovah . . . is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.” (2 Pet. 3:9; see also 2 Corinthians 5:18–6:2; Revelation 22:17.) After the Ethiopian had learned from Philip, he asked: “What prevents me from getting baptized?” (Acts 8:36) If you feel the same about serving Jehovah God and taking Christ’s yoke upon you, we suggest that you consider the following two questions, which are asked of candidates for baptism:

(1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

If you find that you can answer “YES” to these questions, then it would be appropriate for you to speak to the presiding overseer in the congregation of Jehovah’s witnesses with which you associate, with a view to getting baptized. Following baptism you too can look forward to having a share in the worldwide discipling work with the blessing of Christ Jesus, who promised to be with his followers “until the conclusion of the system of things.”—Matt. 28:18-20.

• yknot
    yknot

May 1970-Apr 1973

*** w70 5/15 p. 309 par. 20 Your Conscience Toward Jehovah ***

20 Two questions which do search out the heart and mind of each candidate are:

(1) Have you recognized yourself as a sinner and needing salvation from Jehovah God? And have you acknowledged that this salvation proceeds from him and through his ransomer, Christ Jesus?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for redemption have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to Jehovah God, to do his will henceforth as that will is revealed to you through Christ Jesus and through God’s Word as his holy spirit makes it plain?

Those who answer “yes” audibly to these two questions so that the other persons present may witness their affirmation of dedication may appropriately be baptized.

• kzjw
    kzjw

Thanx Yknot....Is it just me or can the 1985 version be construed as a verbal contract with the WTBS? Should it not be plain to see that they are placing themselves as God's equal?

• yknot
    yknot

No it is not just you.....

I remember reviewing that article (I was 10) before I left for my court-ordered summer vaca with my worldly dad and thinking to myself ...."Heck I can't even legally commit myself to Columbia Record's buy 10 for a penny because of the legal constraints of that contract ...how am I ever going to be able to get dunked....and than praying intensely to Jehovah reminding him that I was told we couldn't be baptized in the name of an organization and to show me mercy should Armageddon come before he remedied this 'situation'....

Sure enough when we got our first WTCD the very first thing I looked up was

*** w55 7/1 p. 411 par. 15 Christian Baptism for the New World Society ***
    15 A Christian, therefore, cannot be baptized in the name of the one actually doing the immersing or in the name of any man, nor in the name of any organization, but in the name of the Father, the Son and the holy spirit. This shows, among other things, that Christianity is not a denominational affair, that sects have nothing to do with it. “Does the Christ exist divided? Paul was not impaled for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I am thankful I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name.”—1 Cor. 1:13-15, NW.

*** w66 10/1 pp. 603-604 par. 15 Serving with Everlasting Life in View ***
    15 This is what we mean when we dedicate our lives to Jehovah. We do not dedicate ourselves to a religion, nor to a man, nor to an organization. No, we dedicate ourselves to the Supreme Sovereign of the Universe, our Creator, Jehovah God himself. This makes dedication a very personal relationship between us and Jehovah. For this reason, all dedicated ones are not only privileged but obligated to draw near to Jehovah in prayer. James 4:8 tells us: “Draw close to God, and he will draw close to you.” If we do not constantly put Jehovah before us in prayer we cannot fulfill our dedication vows, because it just is not possible to have a close, warm, personal relationship with someone unless you constantly talk to him. We all know what happens when family members stop talking to each other. Their relationship breaks up. If we were ever to allow this to happen to our relationship to Jehovah it would be fatal to our hopes of everlasting life.

• kzjw
    kzjw

Yknot, I'm really diggin you right now...

I never dreamed you'd send me such a gem...I just emailed my wife the previous post that she must recognize as the truth, but I'll hold this for the discussion that follows. Any other WTCD info you can give me would be welcomed! This is theocratic warfare at it's best! Most jw's are willing to battle as long as they can cheat with the rags, this time the rags can tear down the walls of the WT itself!

You are the man!

thanx,

Marc

• kzjw
    kzjw

Yknot, I'm really diggin you right now...

I never dreamed you'd send me such a gem...I just emailed my wife the previous post that she must recognize as the truth, but I'll hold this for the discussion that follows. Any other WTCD info you can give me would be welcomed! This is theocratic warfare at it's best! Most jw's are willing to battle as long as they can cheat with the rags, this time the rags can tear down the walls of the WT itself!

You are the man!

thanx,

Marc

• yknot
    yknot

When did your wife join?

The 80s saw another rise in legalism one that hadn't been experienced since Rutherford's presidency.

Why not point out that while you are personally disturbed by the lack of holy spirit being mentions as dictated in scripture......you aren't that surprised seeing how Rutherford declared HS unnecessary in the 30s (even 'retrodating' it back to 1918)

That really is all the 'gems' regarding baptism......however I will mention that the WTS continues to promote the idea of baptism in the name of the Father. Son and HS in their publications and talks.....it is just that it doesn't happen in reality at the assemblies or DC.

If you go onto Youtube many have uploaded their baptism videos and you can show your wife how no one says 'I baptize you in the name of the ..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit