The Book of Revelation

by frankiespeakin 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
  • pixiesticks
    pixiesticks

Very interesting! Thanks!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Cool, it's Elaine Pagels! This is what we need more of online....an engaged literary examination that approaches its subject with respect...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Interesting,

I am currently studying Revelation by the commentary done by Davide Aune and indeed, the striking simialrities between what is written in Revelation as compared to / borrowed from the OT books is astounding and while the speaker forgets to mention Enoch, many parts that are "stand outs" in Revelation were in Enoch.

I have yet to read the Gospel Of Thomas, Ezra and The Secret Revelation of john, anyone know where there is a good place/translation to download?

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

Can anyone summarize what this woman concludes in this video, this video is much too long to watch and I have already concluded from my own research that the "Book Of Revelation" is total fiction and that it isn't worth sitting through an hour long video that discusses it.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Can anyone summarize what this woman concludes in this video, this video is much too long to watch and I have already concluded from my own research that the "Book Of Revelation" is total fiction and that it isn't worth sitting through an hour long video that discusses it.

Since you've already made up your mind on it...what do you care what she thinks?

In a nutshell, she views it as "propoganda against the Romans".

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

PSac,

Here is where you can find some of what your'e looking for:

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/

• agonus
    agonus

If I'm not mistaken, Revelation almost didn't make the cut for the traditional 66-77 book canon.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

It has been a sourse of contention for ages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Revelation

Early views of authorship

A number of Church Fathers weighed in on the authorship of Revelation. Justin Martyr avows his belief in its apostolic origin. Irenaeus assumes it as a conceded point. At the end of the second century, it is accepted at Antioch by Theophilus, and in Africa by Tertullian. At the beginning of the third century, it is adopted by Clement of Alexandria and by Origen of Alexandria, later by Methodius, Cyprian, and Lactantius. Dionysius of Alexandria rejected it, upon doctrinal rather than critical grounds. Eusebius inclined to class the Apocalypse with the spurious books. [6]Jerome relegated it to second class. [6] Most canons included it, but some, especially in the Eastern Church, rejected it. It is wholly absent from the Peshitta. [6]

• zarco
    zarco

I am a real fan of Elaine Pagels. She writes and presents in a clear concise manner. Revelation seems to make sense when viewed from the perpective of a prophet named John living in Patmos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit