I See Jesus..

by cameo-d 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

...in my minds eye.

You know how you visualize in your mind, you see words transferred into pictorial images? Well, I have these scenerios I have always visualized when certain stories are repeated.

There has been so much talk lately about "this generation" and I was reflecting on some of the thoughts. In my minds eye, I see Jesus as he was being questioned about signs of the last days.

Jesus is sitting low to the ground. As he begins to respond to the questions from a few disciples that are with him, he just casually reaches down and picks up a handful of sand. He subtly holds out his hand when he says "this generation."

It just dawned on me that he is speaking volumes through his mannerisms and actions.

Many people debate that Jesus was referring to the "end of an age of religious and political domination" that related to his own current day. This cannot be so.

As he picked up the handful of sand, it was almost as though he were divining the future from grasping it. We humans are created from all the elements of the earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. What he held in his hand was symbolic of the unformed, as yet unborn, humans of the future.

He stood up and his hand curled around the handful of sand and, as he said "this is a wicked generation and no sign will be given it," the sand trickled from his funneled palm.

I have always seen this vision the same way for years. I just never really associated holding the sand with the content of this message.

I have looked to see if I can find any such mannerism described in the scriptures and have not seen it yet. But then, I don't have that much time to read and look for it. I am just wondering if any of you know if there is any description of Jesus picking up a handful of sand at any time when the future was being discussed.

Go ahead and make fun. I know you will.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I think your visualization is cool and interesting. Nothing to make fun of, imo. The thing about written accounts is that we can't see the gestures and mannerisms and facial expressions and are left with only the words. Perhaps your visualization was a gift to you if you were truly seeking insight with right intention. (Now I'll probably be the one being made fun of...lol.) You are right. Volumes are spoken by mannerisms and body language.

The scripture that comes to mind for me is Matt. 7: 24-29. The crowd was amazed at his style of teaching, so I have to think in the scriptures below, he must have used something other than just the words to enamor the crowd.

24"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." 28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teacher of the law.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Some Christians in the first century believed that Jesus would return during their lifetime, because Jesus had said to his followers to be alert or be ready at all times. From this belief came the first evidence of the doctrine of imminence. [citation needed] When the converts of Paul in Thessalonica were persecuted by the Roman Empire, they believed the end was upon them. [ 4 ]

Awkward legends arose suggesting that the disciples to whom Jesus was speaking did not die but remain alive, eventually developing into legends like that of a Wandering Jew and of Prester John. C. S. Lewis called this "the most embarrassing verse in the Bible". [ 12 ]

More scholarly explanations for how this could be justified have concentrated on the fact that, in Koine Greek, the word used for generation can also be used to mean race, "type", or "sort." [citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivet_discourse#Imminence

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

cam

More scholarly explanations for how this could be justified have concentrated on the fact that, in Koine Greek, the word used for generation can also be used to mean race, "type", or "sort."

I' think this make the most sense to me. The Jews are still here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit