Luke 21:8 - Crickets From the WTS

by LostGeneration 8 Replies latest jw friends

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

NIV 8 He replied: "Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not follow them.

NWT (Luke 21:8) He said: “Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them.

With all this generation spin, I did a little research and couldn't find a thing on this scripture from the WTS, and that is saying a lot. They seem to have an opinion on every other scripture in the bible. Has anyone found anything they have said on this one? Any other scriptures that they are strangely silent on?
  • Slayerbard
    Slayerbard

OMG your right!! LOL I just ran that scripture though the CD rom 09 and NOTHING came up..sides the Bible verse itself! LOL kinda says it all right there doesn't it.

• wobble
    wobble

That fact has been noted on here before, I guess they just cannot spin that scripture in any way, and it SO points at them ,

what a true prophet Jesus was !

The other one I noted was in the Rev. Climax book, can't remember which verse now, but they just skip over it !

And yet that book is supposed to be a verse by verse jobby. of course the verse in question was an embarrassment to their theology.

So, as with Luke 21v8, just don't mention it, dumb Dubs won't notice, ..... but we did, and we left.

Love

Wobble

• yknot
    yknot

Odd .....I just ran the 09' CD and found....

*** w64 11/1 p. 645 Wolves in Sheep’s Covering ***
    To his first-century disciples Jesus sounded a warning that applies to us today with even greater force: “Look out that you are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he [Christ],’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them.” (Luke 21:8) He also admonished: “Be on the watch for the false prophets that come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves.” (Matt. 7:15) Watchfulness and caution are therefore essential to avoid becoming prey to greedy, wolfish men.

Another reference is in a 1944 booklet called 'The Kingdom of God is Nigh'........to which I haven't found a PDF copy or link too yet (but if a poster has this booklet in their library .....please scan!)

There are also many references in which the scriptures is included but not individually comments say like Luke 21:7-11 found in 2005 Jan 15 WT

• Slayerbard
    Slayerbard

Ok you found one.. I double checked and sidn't see the top one. LOL it's used but never quoted, usually found with a list of scriptures and almost always to be the last one in the list...

and Wobble I noticed the missing verse too. I remember thinking we missed a paragraph when we went over it the first time. Glad I'm not the only one.. I'm going to go dig up my book and see which one is it. I'm curious not. HEHE

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Yup, Luke 21:8 is commented on in WT Library about as much as Maccabes 1:1. Wonder why?

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

*** w04 3/1 p. 6 True Christianity Is Flourishing ***
    For instance, under inspiration the apostle Paul wrote to his fellow overseer Timothy: “There will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories.” Would all Christians be misled? No. Paul continued: “You, though, keep your senses in all things, suffer evil, do the work of an evangelizer, fully accomplish your ministry.” (2 Timothy 4:3-5; Luke 21:8; Acts 20:29, 30; 2 Peter 2:1-3) Timothy and other faithful Christians lived by that inspired counsel.

I got:

320 Search Occurences

1 Bible Citation

2 Reference Works

I put in Luke 21:8 and did a search in 2009 CD.

Most of them are not direct references to that particular scripture but cover a range that it's in.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Here is more from the article Ynot referenced: The first part could fit the WTS, the rest is a slam on the RCC

*** w64 11/1 pp. 645-646 Wolves in Sheep’s Covering ***

The combined testimony of these faithful witnesses pointed to danger from within the ranks of professed Christians. The peril would be not so much from the openly avowed opponents of Christ as from those who would rise up claiming to be Christ or claiming to exercise the rights and prerogatives of Christ as his empowered representatives. Disarmed by an outward show of godliness and by “smooth talk and complimentary speech,” many unwary Christians would be seduced into following ‘wolves in sheep’s covering’ and eventually becoming prey to such selfish deceivers.—Rom. 16:18.

HOW TO DETECT THEM

The apostle Paul disclosed two giveaway signs of deception, namely, a twisting of the words of truth and a lack of the spirit of tender affection. Peter speaks of counterfeit words and the promotion of sects, groups following men. Jude intimates that a departure from the high moral standards of the Bible would be a danger signal. John points to a denial of the true relationship existing between the heavenly Father and his Son, Christ Jesus, as another indication of antichristian deception.—1 John 2:19, 22.

The facts in fulfillment confirmed those timely warnings. Many false Messiahs (Christs) have arisen since the middle of the first century, men who have duped multitudes of Jews. From time to time men have also arisen, up to and including our own time, claiming to be Christ, deceiving gullible persons who professed to be Christians. Then there is the long line of self-styled vicegerents of Christ who have sat upon a throne in Rome and who have promulgated the idea that their church rule was indeed the foretold thousand-year reign of Christ. In effect they were saying: “The due time has approached,” and have thereby stifled the expectations of many in a genuine Kingdom rule with blessings for all peoples. Add to this the multitudes of nominal Christians who have placed their own personal ideas and selfish desires ahead of the teaching of Christ, and who have to that extent usurped the position of Christ as the authoritative Teacher of the Christian congregation.

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

*** w90 10/15 p. 7 Masada—Proof That Messiah Had Come? ***
    But once the Jewish revolt broke out in 66 C.E., what protected those Judean Christians from being carried away by its initial success? They no doubt recalled their Master’s warning: “All those who take the sword will perish by the sword.” (Matthew 26:52) Jesus also had given them a balanced view of Gentile governmental authority. “Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar,” he said, “but God’s things to God.” (Mark 12:17) Furthermore, Jesus had foretold that messianic pretenders would come, saying, “‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached,’” but he warned: “Do not go after them.”—Luke 21:8.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit