WTBS taking care of older ones?

by roadrunner027 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• roadrunner027
    roadrunner027

Does anyone know if the society/organization is financially taking care of the older ones?

My husband and I left the org over 10 years ago, we are of the generation where our parents came to the JW's in the 70's, gave up everything they owned, had no college education, and stuck to the usual janitorial/construction jobs so they wouldn't miss any meetings. This of coarse means they have no retirement money and see nothing wrong with that as the end of the system is soon upon us. (sigh)

Now our parents are entering their 60's, my mother in law just left my father in law and moved in with us, because she had no where else to go. During her 40yr marriage my father in law worked while she pioneered. She has never worked, has no retirement and thinks she can live with us while pioneering and pay her way by cleaning our house. This is not fair to me as I am already working full-time to support my family while taking care of her sick son, my husband (willingly!)

My husband and I are very upset at this situation and feel the society should be financially taking care of these socially inept and financially handicapped older ones as they were only following the societys advice. As people of this generation get older, the society must see growing problem as this will affect their income with less donations.

Has the society posted any articles in magazines saying those in the congregation need to financially support and take care of the elderly ones?

As far as we are concerned, the society created this mess they can now deal with problems they have caused. Same with my mother in law, she has continued to blindly follow this organization so she should now lean on them and not us for support.

Thanks!

Marie

• fokyc
    fokyc

You jest of course?

They do not take any responsibility for the 1975 fiasco.

There are a few retirement homes run by the WTBTS, perhaps they would help.

fokyc

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The onus is on

1: The Family first and foremost (especially believing relatives)

2: The congregation if the old one has no family.

The Witchtower does not use any money to help the poor among them. They point out repeatedly that he purpose of the Borg is to promote the preaching work, and touts for contributions to the World Wide Pedo Defense Fund for that purpose.

Its all in the litterature.

If you complain to the elduhs, they will prolly ask why you have such an ungenerous spirit.

HB

• minimus
    minimus

The only thing I've seen is that the Congregation Elders have a schedule and assignments to visit the infirm in my mother's Hall. Many of them seem genuinely concerned, for what it's worth.

• alanv
    alanv

I think the society would say that everyone had a choice as to how much they would do in the service. So if they are suffering now as a result of getting it wrong years ago then it is really is their own fault. In many countries the state helps those older people who can't help so the society see no need to help.

If push comes to shove as they say, they would expect others in the cong. to help them out. There certainly would be no handouts from Brooklyn.

• roadrunner027
    roadrunner027

I agree with you hampsterbait and being in this position has made me wonder about the other older ones. I know my mother in law can't be the only one in this situation. When my own mother disowned me for leaving the witnesses, I told her there and then that if she will from now on not treat me as her daughter then she can turn to her witness friends for help as she ages. My parents are now in the middle of losing their home and have no where to go. So I'm sitting back and watching to see if the witnesses will step up to the plate and open their homes to them. (Ok..you can insert laughter here) :-)

• nugget
    nugget

There are no plans for the society to assist older ones who have got into financial difficulties because they made no provision for their retirement. I think the legal bods thought this might come up and I am sure I saw in the magazines that people should plan for retirement whilst hoping the system ends soon. Oh and don't forget to leave money to the society in your will.

The societies approach has always been to say to those in difficulty "keep warm and well fed."

I suggest where possible your husband is the one who approaches the topic with his mother, otherwise you are the evil one, she needs to know that you both feel the same way and there is no emotional leverage.

If your mum in law is fit it may be worth your husband suggesting that since her circumstances have changed she needs to be more proactive about finding a part time job rather than pioneering. She may genuinely be unaware of the cost of living and the financial strain she is placing on the household. Show her how much you have to pay out each month for amenities etc divide by people in the house and show her how much a meaningful contribution would be. She may be quite shocked to discover how expensive things are. Even Paul supported himself whilst pioneering because he appreciated that he couldn't be a pioneer and a financial burden on others.

I feel for her she was expecting to see a reward for all her hard work and instead she is in dire straights but she is still to a certain extent living in a fantasy world. In your household everyone contributes financially so she needs to be prepared to do so as well if she wishes to remain with you both. Be supportive about assisting with CVs etc but if you are serious you need to be firm.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

In the PRINTED study in the 90s on education, those who left school early to pioneer were called "PRESUMPTUOUS"

They assumed that Jehoobie would provide for them in spite of not having a High School Certificate.

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Ther was a CO who hammered 1975, who became known for his bitterness after he was put out to pasture.

A pioneer I knew called on him to say "Hello 'member me?" and got his head ripped off.

Of course he was utterly in poverty, his wife died during their tour of duty and he ended up with nothing, except minimal social security. No pension.

The EU ruling on providing pensions for volunteers and members of religious communities, will result in a limit on how many years a Witless can be a special pioneer, CO or DO.

I know of one case (his widow told me) : They were missionaries, and he nearly died of some horrendous infection. He was left an invalid, and the doctoers advised him to go home. The Branch said that the Society"does not provide financial assistance for those who decide to leave their missionary assignment."

HB

• roadrunner027
    roadrunner027

Nugget: Thank you for your encouraging advice, that may help if we break up the cost of living including rent because she took over my son's bedroom.

Hampsterbait: I just continue to be amazed at the society's cold heartedness as opposed to following and showing Jesus' compassion and love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit