I found a religion WORSE them jw's

by LucyA 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LucyA
    LucyA

So I was doing so research on the legal ramifications of withholding medical care from children and found one religion Worse the JW so here they are...

DOCTORS SPEAK ON CHRISTIAN SCIENCE TESTIMONIALS

CHILD is adding a feature to our web page of essays by pediatricians. They will comment upon healings of children purportedly achieved by Christian Science spiritual treatment.

Christian Science theology holds that one healing proves that Christian Science is a scientific system for healing all diseases. The church's healing claims encourage parents to take foolish risks with their children's lives. Furthermore, the church claims that legislators give Christian Scientists religious exemptions to child neglect laws because of these healings.

Our second contributor in this series is Dr. Seth Asser, a pediatrician in Providence, Rhode Island.

WHY CHRISTIAN SCIENCE TESTIMONIALS LACK SCIENTIFIC VALUE
    Dr. Seth Asser

The Christian Science church frequently claims a record of healing more than fifty thousand cases of disease by prayer. Cases with any degree of medical documentation are rare, and with clear medical confirmation are apparently non-existent. Such is illustrated by the case of Holly Zynda.

Holly's story was presented on an episode of the Arts & Entertainment network's Investigative Reports with Bill Kurtis (December 17) entitled "Healing and Prayer: Power or Placebo?" In 1985, 20-month-old Holly was bruising easily. Her mother, Debra, was raised in the Christian Science church and did not want to take Holly to a doctor. However, a neighbor, Kim Brown, identified as a nurse practitioner, recommended that Holly have medical care. The father, Tom Zynda, who was not then a Christian Science member, convinced his wife to take Holly to a pediatrician. The diagnosis of ITP, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, was made based upon a very low platelet count.

ITP is a disorder of young children that leads to easy bruisability and, less commonly, bleeding. This is due to a decrease in the platelets circulating in the blood. Platelets are small cell fragments that are an essential component of clotting. In ITP, an autoimmune reaction often following a typical childhood viral infection, the body's own antibodies attach to platelets and decrease their numbers. The platelets that remain are able to function, but their number is insufficient for normal clotting to occur.

The disease is generally mild. Most children do not need any treatment other than increased vigilance to reduce rough play, contact sports, and accidents. Those with severe bleeding symptoms and extremely low platelet counts may transiently benefit from treatment with steroids or intravenous immunoglobulin. Rarely, a splenectomy may be required if ITP becomes chronic.

Implication: fatal disease

Kurtis and Brown, however, give the impression that ITP is often a fatal disease. Brown tells us solemnly, "Children can die. Children can bleed to death and die."

The disease, Kurtis claims, "has some of the same characteristics as leukemia." He narrates that Holly's doctors considered her condition "critical," monitored her blood count for two months, and put her on prednisone (a steroid). "But," he continues melodramatically, "Holly didn't get better. The medication didn't seem to be helping at all."

Failure of medical care alleged

Feeling he "had nothing to lose," Tom Zynda agreed with his wife to discontinue the medical care and rely exclusively on Christian Science to heal Holly. Echoing typical Christian Science rhetoric, Kurtis says, "Debra was determined to break through her own fear and conquer Holly's disease through her faith."

What is the evidence that Holly's medical treatment was failing? Neighbor Brown says, "She kept getting worse," but no objective evidence is offered to support her impression.

Most children do not respond immediately to steroids. But most important is that the disease is self-limited in well over 95% of cases, remitting on its own within 2 to 6 months.

Nurse claims Christian Science healing

Zynda reports that within 30 days after they discontinued the medication, they noted "a real dramatic change." It's hard for me to understand how something that took 30 days can be called dramatic, but the improvement three months after diagnosis is precisely the expectation that physicians would have for children with ITP.

As evidence to confirm the "miracle," Brown offers her opinion that when patients are taken off anti-inflammatory drugs such as steroids, they get suddenly worse most of the time. But before Brown would have expected improvement, she states to the camera, Holly was running around, and the bruises went away.

Kurtis further inflates the drama of the situation by stating, "Doctors say that ITP can become a chronic, lifelong illness. But 15 years after her battle with the disease, Holly is enjoying the life of a normal, active teenager." He adds, "She's never been to another doctor."

The truth is much less miraculous. By the time Holly was taken off prednisone, it was likely that her platelet count had already begun to improve. And, unlike patients with more severe and chronic autoimmune disorders, a patient with ITP would not likely "get worse" when taken off prednisone. A platelet count would be required to know with certainty when she began to improve.

Disease self-limited in 95% of cases

More important, the overwhelming majority of children with ITP will get better, on their own, with time. Very few go on to the chronic form, when the disruption lasts more than 6 months. For those who do, most do not have serious bleeding as an ongoing problem, and they can remit at any time, most doing so within a few years. Kurtis' implication that severe lifelong problems from ITP are common is incorrect.

His claim that ITP is like leukemia is preposterous. ITP shares the low platelet count and, therefore, easy bruising with leukemia, but the similarity ends there. A simple white-cell count differentiates the two. ITP doesn't have the fevers and malaise that leukemia usually has. ITP is not cancer. ITP usually resolves itself without any medical treatment.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Should health insurance companies cover prayer as a legitimate medical expense?

The Christian Science church is seeking to insert a measure in the Senate’s health care legislation that would encourage private insurance companies to cover prayer and spiritual treatment of the sick, even though both the House and Senate turned down earlier versions.

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/05/to-a-divisive-debate-now-add-religion/

• garyneal
    garyneal

Yeah, I often use the Christian Scientist as an example when discussing the blood doctrine with my wife.

Me: So you would withhold blood from our daughter even if the doctor said that was the only treatment that could save her life?
    Wife: So you're saying you do not trust in God?
    Me: So tell me how is that different than the Christian Scientist who say, "We don't need any treatment for our child, we will pray and trust in God. What do you mean that treatment will save our child's life? Do you not trust in God?"
    Wife: Silence. (Sometimes she will say, "This is not an upbuilding conversation and I don't want to talk about this anymore.")

The Christian Scientist are obviously neither Christian nor scientists.

• marriedtojw
    marriedtojw

garyneal, along the same lines as what you said... it reminds me of that joke.

A religious man is on top of a roof during a great flood. A man comes by in a boat and says "get in, get in!" The religous man replies, " no I have faith in God, he will grant me a miracle."

Later the water is up to his waist and another boat comes by and the guy tells him to get in again. He responds that he has faith in god and god will give him a miracle. With the water at about chest high, another boat comes to rescue him, but he turns down the offer again cause "God will grant him a miracle."

With the water at chin high, a helicopter throws down a ladder and they tell him to get in, mumbling with the water in his mouth, he again turns down the request for help for the faith of God. He arrives at the gates of heaven with broken faith and says to Peter, I thought God would grand me a miracle and I have been let down." St. Peter chuckles and responds, "I don't know what you're complaining about, we sent you three boats and a helicopter."

• moshe
    moshe
    - What do you mean that treatment will save our child's life? Do you not trust in God?"
    Wife: Silence. (Sometimes she will say, "This is not an upbuilding conversation and I don't want to talk about this anymore.")

-funny how JW's turn it around and make it out to be that you are the problem, why they have to end the conversation. JW's can wear jackboots and stomp all over non-JW's - but we have to be careful what we say so as not to upset their tender WT sensitivities.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Yeah Moshe, it is pretty jacked up how unreasonable these people can be. And yet, I am the unreasonable one. Sometimes I wish I had a third party arbitrator in the room who would at least tactfully and without bias say which one of us is being unreasonable. I mean if I am being unreasonable, I really want to know.

• garyneal
    garyneal

married:

Crazy as it sounds, I also think of that scenario when I keep asking myself was I right to reject the teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses. Seems like there is so much error in a lot of churches. Then my mind turns to the following:

1799 was the time of the end, 1874 was the year Christ began reigning invisibly, 1914 was the year of armageddon.

NOO LITE

1914 is the time of the end and the year Christ began reigning invisibly.

Pyramidology

Russells Pyramid

Christ Jesus is not the mediator for the Earthly Class.

The two class teaching began under Rutherford to deal with the fact the more than 144,000 people were becoming Bible Students.

In 1917, Michael the Archangel was the Pope.

The pearly gates to Heaven closed in 1935, only to reopen again recently.

The number of annointed witnesses are increasing.

And on, and on, and on. If I cannot see this and conclude that this religion is not true, then I can see myself saying to St Peter, "I wasn't sure if this religion was untrue." Only to have him say, "Son, we sent you many obvious facts to reveal to you the truth."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit