How Radicalised are Jehovah's Witnesses?

by snugglebunny 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Back in the early 70's, the WT stated that all persons who had lived and died would be resurrected after armageddon. Only non believers would be killed at armageddon, never to return. In short, if you died before the big A, you were guaranteed to return.

This gave rise amongst several ex's to concerns that their well-meaning JW parents might just consider the possibilty of having their offspring "lovingly" bumped off so as to ensure their resurrection!

I'm just recalling an article a while back in which mentioned that JW's maybe asked to do something that might seem at first to be an unreasonable course of action. That seemed a little weird.

I guess I'm just rambling a little, but IMHO, anyone who could disown their own children for a religion just has to be pretty radicalised.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

The danger in JW's is less about their theology and more about devout members inability to believe/think that it is not the one true religion. Anything is possible when people aren't in control, and I have blasted my family for this and given examples of the danger of letting someone else think for you... however...

All that being said, with the JW's I believe it is so big, and there are so many inside that are actually on the fringe in a lot of ways, that they wouldn't do anything radical. Now the hardcores in the middle, possibly, but overall I think anything extreme would be isolated and small.

Although some would call turning down medical treatment "radical".

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

for a religion just has to be pretty radicalized.

Or a religion that impedes medical procedures resulting in death .

Yes radicalized of course, very much so.

• sir82
    sir82

I don't think the WTS would ever print anything that evil.

However, I fear that as time passes, and passes, and passes, and still no Armageddon, there may be more individual JWs who "snap" and do unspeakable things.

In western lands, pretty much the only non-immigrants who are recruited anymore are the mentally and/or emotionally unstable. As the few remaining smart ones leave, replaced by the unstable, horrific incidents may occur more frequently.

I really hope I am wrong, though.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Although some would call turning down medical treatment "radical" - in a life-or-death situation, it most certainly is.

Shunning might be considered radical too - it goes against 'normal' human behaviour to ignore your nearest & dearest.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

An Elder's wife told me that if a fellow Witness murdered her husband, she'd 'phone the Elders first, then the police!!

Unbelievable!!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Shunning is for sure radical. You tell a JW that islam, and the amish, and the mormons, and scientology and other groups do the exact same thing for the exact same reason... they just give you a blank stare like you never said anything

and go on saying things how if you loved someone very much and someone criticized them you'd shun the critical person... INSANITY!! They totally miss how insane this practice is. With myself I have been seeing this first hand within my family. Even some can't tell me how what is happening does any good or makes any sense.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

murdered her husband, she'd 'phone the Elders first, then the police!!

And that is a good example just how much many JWS perceive their association with the more powerful JW organization.

One is guided and directed by god the almighty and all other organizations such as outside government institutions are guided by Satan and is therefore evil, to be distanced from.

Also a good indication of the overwhelming control the WTS. creates over its devoted adherents.

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

Indoctrination truly runs deep. As much as I feel liberated by knowing TTATT, still I would absolutely not give nor take anyone's blood, nor would I participate in military or patriotic actions. Those two aspects are the constant remnants of having been a JW all my life.

Yes, JWs are pretty radicals in their beliefs.

SL

• Scully
    Scully

I have wondered for the past 20 years or so whether the WTS would ever cross the line. This was published in the Watchtower in 1957:

*** Nov 15, 1952 Watchtower ***

We are not living today among theocratic nations where such members of our fleshly family relationship could be exterminated for apostasy from God and his theocratic organization, as was possible and was ordered in the nation of Israel in the wilderness of Sinai and in the land of Palestine. "Thou shalt surely kill him; thy hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him to death with stones, because he hath sought to draw thee away from Jehovah thy God, . . . And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is in the midst of thee."-Deut. 13:6-11, AS.

Being limited by the laws of the worldly nation in which we live and also by the laws of God through Jesus Christ, we can take action against apostates only to a certain extent, that is, consistent with both sets of laws. The law of the land and God's law through Christ forbid us to kill apostates, even though they be members of our own flesh-and-blood family relationship.

Yes, I do feel that the day may come when the WTS will "suggest" that the time has come for True Christians™ to act out their Theocratic™ fantasies of wiping out Apostates™. It wouldn't take much. They've already laid the groundwork by saying that they were going to tell JWs to do things that they may not understand or find hard to accept. The WTS already expect JWs to allow beloved spouses, children and other family members to die for lack of blood transfusions. That, in itself, is beyond comprehension and hard to accept because it is a passive form of homicide. Yet, when faced with this Test of Integrity™ how many JWs have gone along with it? It would be exactly the same with active forms of homicide. All the WTS has to do is say it is a Test of Integrity™ or a Test of Loyalty™, and there would be lots of JWs who would be more than willing to comply.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit