Get your kids involved with Haiti........

by awildflower 8 Replies latest jw friends

• awildflower
    awildflower

So my 13 year old daughter and I have been watching the news all day about Haiti. Because I've been talking about it since it happened she is now asking questions. So today we talked and I made sure she saw on tv the map of where Haiti is and how difficult this is going to be and is for relief efforts due to it being on a island etc..........Then I saw where you could safely text a ten dollar donation. It will be charged to your phone bill. So because kids are texting all the time I had my daughter do it! I think this is a great opportunity to help the kids get involved, with permission from their parents, they could text a donation as well. Let's face it, our kids have it made over here compared to the kids over there, and yes we have to make them get involved but I thought this was an excellent way to do it.

Text HAITI to 90999. Make sure the kids do it!..............wf

• changeling
    changeling

What a wonderful idea! :)

I believe this donation goes to the Red Cross.

• awildflower
    awildflower

Yes the donation goes to the Red Cross, it's totally legit, all the news stations stand behind it, even Hillary Clinton promoted it this morning and it's easy, immediate and a way to feel like we are doing something. With all the scams going on you have to be careful! When my daughter texted this afternoon they were at about 3million dollars, this evening on the news I heard 5million! Americans like easy and quick! It's working!........wf

• changeling
    changeling

Teaching our children that we are all responsible for each other is a valuable lesson. The more children who learn that lesson today, the better everyone's future will be. :)

• poppers
    poppers

Great idea awildflower - you have a PM

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I did the same thing with the kids yesterday.

It felt good to do something that will actually help the people of Haiti with what they really need at this time.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I agree that, if you are going to donate to help those in Haiti, you need to either donate directly to the people in need, or through a reputable charity. The Red Cross is widely accepted as reputable, and does a good job at indiscriminately helping those who fall in need through no fault of their own--unlike the witlesses, who only want to glorify themselves.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Text sent!

Thx,

5th

• awildflower
    awildflower

I guess this really was a good idea! CNN was talking all about how texting has been a big hit for donations especially among the young! Because they love to text! One 17 year old e-mailed CNN and said they never really knew how to donate before but now he does because of texting. Just so cool that the kids are involved. Makes me feel good ........wf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit