Discussion with my family.

by ColdRedRain 4 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

It was a cold night and my girlfriend needed to make a pitstop at my grandmother's house. Of course, no good JW would give up an opportunity to witness to people. And my family are no exceptions.

Anyway, my grandfather was asking my girlfriend why I don't attend the cult meetings anymore. She didn't have the heart to tell him that I think the religion's a cult so she pretended to be nice. I soon came over as soon as my girlfriend sent me a text. Then my family started to ask me questions about why I stopped attending. At first, I didn't want to overwhelm them with the dirty laundry of their faith, so I attributed mistakes in their theology to other religions. Of course, they laughed. They honestly believe that the scientologists believe that organ transplants were akin to cannibalism and how they predicted the end of the world to be in 1874 and they had a good time laughing at that cult. But then they skipped over me and tried to do their creepy conversion tactics on my girlfriend. My girlfriend saw right through it and ignored them, but to have a little fun with my family, I asked them if they really think the world has gotten worse. They told me the whole JW talking point about how wars are being fought all over the world, until I told them that there are only about 27 recognized conflicts going on in the world right now, about the same as it's ever been. They then told me that I "knew" the reason why there was so much conflict in the world. Then I blurted out "Is it because Satan's controlling the system"? I did that just so I could freak out my girlfriend and innoculate her from their cult recruitment tactics.

Anyway, the family kept on telling me that the time of the end was getting closer and to repent soon, and then I told them that their emotional pleading won't impress me because what I could see from their religion is that they're really no different than any other religion, except they're more extreme than the others and they really use no facts to back up their statements, just emotional pleading.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Holy cow. Almost better to be shunned than to put up with constant indoctrination efforts. Good for you for standing up for yourself.

• jabberwock
    jabberwock
    At first, I didn't want to overwhelm them with the dirty laundry of their faith, so I attributed mistakes in their theology to other religions. Of course, they laughed. They honestly believe that the scientologists believe that organ transplants were akin to cannibalism and how they predicted the end of the world to be in 1874 and they had a good time laughing at that cult.

This is brilliant! What an excellent way to criticize Witness beliefs without them immediately ending the discussion. It reminds me of the prophet Nathan telling King David the story about the poor family's little lamb that was taken and slaughtered by the rich man.

Did you ever reveal to them that these were Witness beliefs? How did they react?

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Nope. But here's the plan: They bring up those rumors to the local elders, the local elders either say "wow, that's weird" and they spread it amongst the other elders until somebody says "That's an old teaching we had" or "That's an apostate lie about our religion", making the JW think "something's not right here. In fact, my family's drank so much of the JW kool aid, I think it'll work like magic.

I even told them about the Scientologists trying to trick their rank and file into thinking that 1874 was the day that Xenu came invisibly..... Oh lord, LMAO.

Second part of the plan: Jehovah's Witnesses will look up scientology's link to 1874 or organ transplants being akin to canniibalism..... then the fun really begins. :) Either that or they become wise to my trick and then tell me that I'm using apostate mind tricks on them. Then my response would be "You're willing to laugh at the follies of other religions but you can't laugh at yours, why do you think you have the truth when your religion has made so many similar follies"?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

"I even told them about the Scientologists trying to trick their rank and file into thinking that 1874 was the day that Xenu came invisibly..... "

Well played, CRR! Hilarious!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit