How do you talk to your kids?

by greenie 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• greenie
    greenie

Just a question that's been bubbling around in my head the last couple of weeks as more new people join the board or others become more established. For those of you on here that have children, nieces, nephews, grandkids, cousins, friends' kids, etc., how do you talk to them about what the JWs teach? I know there are many here that are in mixed relationships that either started that way or became that way when one left, I know there are those here that have both left, and in any circumstances, I'm just wondering how you talk to your kids about the religion and their beliefs. I would have to think for myself that the JWs teachings would have scared the you-know-what out of me as a child.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I would have to think for myself that the JWs teachings would have scared the you-know-what out of me as a child.

You're absolutely right. As a kid, everytime there was thunderstorm, I thought the end was coming. Everytime someone said something bad about Jehovah, I knew they were going to be destroyed. I grew up thinking that my father was going die because he was not a JW.

Also, you don't have to figure out what to say...they learn the same thing as the adults (really they do). In the beginning, its the Book of Bible stories or the Greatest Teacher but usually by the time you are 7 or 8, its time to get you into the "meat" of the doctrine.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

My husband and I faded very rapidly about 19 months ago. We were not the kind of parents that scared our kids or made them study on their precious evening off (that is how we were raised and hated it). To their credit, they did not buy the doctrine hook line and sinker and I always allowed them to discuss it. They were allowed to play sports and have neighborhood children as friends. They really had a hard time making friends in the congregation as they got older it was tough on them. When dad and I finally quit all together, the kids were very relieved, one thanks us almost everyday. Not a whole lot of explaining, it's been a process for them too, the older ones actually read CoC. The littler ones have just adapted very well with little explanation. NMKA

• greenie
    greenie

Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone else have thoughts? I know there are a lot here with kids of varying ages. Are they just that resilient?

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

My children are grown, I left when they were pretty young. They remember very little about it but we've discussed everything that they do remember and I've filled them in on what they don't.

My grandchildren have never had any association with any JW's ever. But they all know about JW's For instance...when we celebrate holiday's I tell them about my memories when I was a child NOT celebrating the holidays. Instead of telling stories about walking to school up hill, both ways...I tell them about sitting in the library during the parties and not being allowed to have worldly school friends. When they go out Trick-or-Treating..I always call it door-to-door work or field service.

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit