Like a dog returning to its vomit - critical analysis

by Beachwalker 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Beachwalker
    Beachwalker

Hi, I've noticed that a lot of poster lately have had this scripture quoted to them, so I thought a little critical analysis is appropriate! Dog returning to vomit is supposed to imply that you go back for more of something that didn't agree with you in the first place, is that correct?

But, there are a couple of things that need discussion -

Do dogs go back? (Trying not to be too graphic with it being New Year's Day and all!)

What is so bad about going back?

Why is the scripture used, and in what context?

What can you say to people who quote (and misquote) this scripture to you?

Beachwalker

• JRK
    JRK

To me, that scripture applies to returning to meetings. In fact, going to meetings would make dog vomit seem appealing.

JK

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Getting a life, is not the same as eating vomit.

If you are born into the religion, and you leave then go back, that would be returning.

lisa

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

To me, the "vomit" and the filth the pig rolls in is nothing more than going back to the boasting sessions and out in field circus under one's own power. You know it is bad--for self and society. You know you are helping to initiate the use of force, threats of force (including death threats), and fraud--yet you choose to go back and do it anyways.

• wobble
    wobble

2 Peter 2v22 is talking about someone who has come to know, or more properly, experience, the Christ and so has left a depraved life, and then returns to that life, like a clean, scrubbed pig going to roll again in the mud and worse.

This hardly describes someone who has left the JW/WT Org.

Whilst in , you do not experience the Christ, and once you have left you do not go back to your former life, you start a new one, many find the Christ for the first time. Even if one leaves and has no belief in God, he is not who Peter was referring to.

So it is totally mis-quoted at those who leave the unchristian, or Christless WT.

Love

Wobble

• DJK
    DJK

I thought reniaa came back to the forum.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Wobble,

I agree with the point you have made, these verses do not describe JWs. They in no way know Jesus as Lord or have Him as their Saviour.

2 Peter 2:20-21 (New International Version)

20 If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21 It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.

However, the whole chapter is about false teachers 2 Peter 2

Sure, we are now have several generations of false teachers from the WT but ultimately, their roots can be traced to those who left the gospel and created their own Galatians 1

Acts 20:29-31 (New International Version)

29 I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. 30 Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. 31 So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.

1 John 2:19 (New International Version)

19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

Blessings, Stephen

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

What's wrong with vomit?

• Heaven
    Heaven

It is a statement used by the WTS to make people feel bad and to keep people down. It is not principled.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit