untitled

by dgp 0 Replies latest social entertainment

• dgp
    dgp

I'm reading "The Orwellian World of Jehovah's witnesses", by Heather and Gary Botting. In chapter 7, the authors argue that the WTBTS needs a stream of converts if it wants to avoid becoming an established religion. They also argue that disfellowshipping serves the purpose of maintaining "unity at all costs". It is the way to let some steam out, and push out the potential troublemakers, for example people who see too clearly and could "spoil bad habits" in others and keeping the ones who will not create trouble (who, in my opinion, are bullied into compliance).

I have the feeling that disfellowshipping, for all the pain it causes, is now backfiring, thanks to the internet. First, the disfellowshipped and disassociated have created websites like these and are now getting in touch with those still in and with people like me, potential converts who won't convert at all because now we have the information. There is no more information and milieu control as in times past. I do understand that the information reaches those still in dropwise, but it still gets there.

What do you people think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit