I sure miss the Good-ol-Days of civility

by Elsewhere 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Too bad they never existed!

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2009-10-26/news/0910250041_1_civility-rudeness-hyphen

Bring Back The Golden Age Of Civility? Sorry, It Never Existed

October 26, 2009 | By Jonah Goldberg

There is much gnashing of teeth and rending of cloth these days about the death of civility.

Apparently, like Cupid with his arrow or a pixie with fairy dust, some magical sprite used to enchant America's political combatants, ensuring that all public discourse was full of beg-your-pardons and please-and-thank-yous. But we have offended our little leprechaun. He's taken his Lucky Charms and gone home, leaving Americans angry, cranky and rude.

Or at least, that's what I gather from all this talk of lost civility. Personally, I'm not sure I know what people are talking about. When was this Golden Age of civility?

Was this glorious era of politeness during George W. Bush's presidency? Funny, that's not how I remember it.

So maybe the 1990s was the last great outpouring of lovingkindness? Hmmm, no. At least I don't think Clarence Thomas would say so. Nor do I think anyone who watched the Clinton show would claim it was a hallmark of sober debate on either side. Former President Bill Clinton's minions attacked victims of his sexual aggression or revelations about his accomplices in his adultery as "bimbo eruptions." Was civility the norm when Rep. Charlie Rangel said of House Speaker Newt Gingrich's Contract with America, "Hitler wasn't even talking about doing these things"?

Was it the 1980s, when President Ronald Reagan was routinely dubbed a nuclear-trigger-happy "amiable dunce"? I was young then, so I'll check with Robert Bork and see what he thinks.

Perhaps it was in the 1960s and 1970s? Sure, there was admirable civil disobedience in the beginning, but there was a lot more uncivil disobedience, what with all the domestic terror attacks and the protesters asking LBJ how many kids he killed today.

The 1950s? Who knew the McCarthy era was such a high-water mark of domestic tranquillity? What about the 1930s? America saw its worst labor violence, and FDR had to put up with demagogues like Huey Long and Father Coughlin (who attacked him from the left, by the way).

How about the 1910s, when Woodrow Wilson threw political opponents in jail? Or in 1919, when he dubbed "hyphenated Americans" (i.e. "German-Americans") traitors? "I cannot say too often - any man who carries a hyphen about with him carries a dagger that he is ready to plunge into the vitals of this Republic. ... If I can catch any man with a hyphen in this great contest I will know that I have got an enemy of the Republic."

OK, enough of all that.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

You're right, Elsewhere, civility in civic discourse has always been the exception, not the rule. Nor is that observation unique to the USA.

In the good old days, statesmen like Aaron Burr anmd Alexander Hamilton settled their differences like proper gentlemen: with dueling pistols.

Changes of power in the times of monarchy were frequently accomplished by assassination. In the "modern" era of elected governments, it's more likely to be the reputation than the body that dies, but the basic principle is the same.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

People were more polite prior to the "W" years. IMHO, that President's arrogance and dismissive nature infected an entire generation of impressionable youth.

Not that "W" was the source - rather, he was just an empty conduit for the narcissism that is the heart of conservative fundamentalists, who think it their mission to stamp out anything they disagree with. There's much less tolerance, consideration (internal and interpersonal), and, yes, civility and manners.

Many people today, in their haste to overcome what they feel is a constrictive political correctness, toss aside respect and tolerance for others.

Here's a clue: it is not an impact on your rights that others that disagree with you exist. The public forum is an open playing field.

And, if you want to have a pleasant time in the field, be polite.

• Opus92
    Opus92

Thank you for posting this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit