jw's who behave weirdly or badly during the holidays & what worldlies think

by carla 5 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday!

Can't say my jw acted outright badly during the holidays with family & friends but there is always a hint of weirdness or extra weirdness in which someone always asks me if my jw is ok?, feeling ok? something wrong? etc..... jw's forget that people often may not even remember that they are a jw! Once they are reminded of his jwism, they almost always respond with a 'oh, maybe he feels guilty'. Now, jw's would think he is feeling guilty about being there along with all us evil pagan worldlies, however, all the worldlies and fleshly relatives think he is feeling guilty and rather like a heel because he didn't get his dear wife anything (again) for Christmas and probably feels bad about it. And not only that but he couldn't even get his butt out of bed to watch the merriment of his wife and children! all rather comical if you think about it, I'm sure all the jw's feel sorry for him that he has that awful decorated tree sitting in his living room and his house is lit up and all the relatives (once they are re-reminded) feel sorry for me because he threw away all the family traditions and think I live with a real live Grinch (as well as a religious nutcase).

• flipper
    flipper

CARLA- I'm sorry you have to be in a situation that I'm sure is ticklish at best. You are right. It is ironic to consider how JW's are viewing the holiday situation as opposed to how non-witness people in families view it. I remember when I used to be a witness how out in service fellow witnesses would make snide remarks about all the Christmas music playing then some weird remarks about Christmas lights , " Even though they are pagan they sure are beautiful . " Or some such comment. Bottom line is witnesses are very negative towards ANY holidays because they have it drilled into them that they are allegedly " pagan " or come from " false religion ". If only they realized they ARE in a false religion. Hang in there sis

• nelly136
    nelly136

well if he feels soo 'uncomfortable and compromised' by his wife and children enjoying christmas perhaps he should go stay at his jw parents house over christmas so he doesnt put such a downer on yours :)

• dgp
    dgp

Marked for reference.

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

Oh yeah can relate to this one!

First year I was here in Canada and the MIL living with us, I wasn't allowed decorations. Christmas cards were kept in the bedroom and there was zero celebration! My wife even felt she should go to work (not that she needed to).

Our friends can't get their brain round how they (JWs) can't celebrate xmas, easter and birthdays and the MIL thinks we all love satan!

3 years on a christmas cards are in the living room, presents for everyone and christmas dinner is back on the table and NO one worked!

Next year I might try for a small tree!

I should also add that birthday s are celebrated in a non birthday way!

• garyneal
    garyneal

Well, I am going to celebrate my daughter's birthday at her school this year and may do something special that all of the kids will like. My wife and some of her coworkers threw a birthday party for her assistant last year (before the baptism) and I may see if they will return the favor for her this year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit