A new type of shiraz

by ozziepost 4 Replies latest social physical

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Well-known amongst friends and acquaintances for my love of a shiraz, I’ve been given something new to try for Christmas.

It’s a Shiraz Viognier, produced by the method of co-fermentation of red Shiraz grapes mixed with white Viognier grapes. They are mixed before the wine is made when the addition of white grapes at this stage is thought to preserve the brightness of the red pigments during fermentation, as well as altering the development of some of the flavour compounds.

A typical Shiraz Viognier wine will contain between two and seven percent of the white variety. A low amount? Winemakers claim it’s enough to change the chemical pathways of the development of the flavouring and colouring compounds during fermentation.

So, what’s it like? Dunno yet, I’m saving it for some savouring! I’ll let you know.

Cheers, Ozzie

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

A mixture of red and white grapes?

Isn't that a bit like the sin of mixing flannel and linen?

Are you sure there is not some flagrant violation of scripture law here?

• dissed
    dissed

ozziepost

Thanks for sharing. I plan to talk to my br-in-law, a wine maker about that.

• hotspur
    hotspur

Now, shiraz is tricky for me.

For some reason it reduces me to tears and acts like some sort of truth serum...... for these two reasons and the trouble it got me into I've not touched anything with the name "shiraz" attached to it. That would even include a lemon!

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

I love fizzy Shiraz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit