Free Emergency Wallet Medical ID Card to Print Online

by Hapgood 8 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Hapgood
    Hapgood

My husband is a JW, he has his "No Blood" card prominently displayed in his wallet when he opens it. I am no longer a JW and I am terrified that if an accident should happen to me and I am unable to speak for myself, my wishes that a blood transfusion is acceptable won't be respected. I found an on-line Emergency Medical Identification card that you can fill out with your medical information. You can print the card out and then lamaminate it. It's wallet sized so it's small enough that you can put it behind your drivers licence. I added under the space for medical conditions that I will accept a blood transfusion. Then in the space allotted for Allergies/ Blood type, I then again typed that I will accept a blood transfusion. I highlighted both in yellow so it stands out. There is also larger versions of the card too. I printed several of the larger cards to give to my family.

The link to the web site is:

http://www.medids.com/free-id.php

• nelly136
    nelly136

contact your doctor and have it put on your medical records, that way your wishes are noted with or without your purse or wallet.

• Hapgood
    Hapgood

Yes, I did have my Doctor put that information in my medical records.

• nelly136
    nelly136

cool :)

• blondie
    blondie

I would also consider getting a healthcare proxy and naming a person to act for your wishes that you can trust. I don't know if you can supersede your husband legally. It is worth checking out in your area.

• Hapgood
    Hapgood

I have a healthcare proxy from a free online website. Not sure how legally binding it is, but it's better then nothing.

Shouldn't have to go through this:-(

• blondie
    blondie

I would check online what the laws are regarding proxies in your area. I would check too with any lawyers that provide free legal advice. The legal power of a husband in regard to his wife's medical decisions (when unconscious) is strong.

For example in North Carolina:

The patient may also not want those family members to make such decisions and would have wanted a close friend or other relative make those decisions. However, if they never bothered to put this in writing, then the patient is stuck. A wife may consider her husband too emotional and unable to make such decisions under stress, so she would prefer that her less emotional brother make these decisions. Or a husband may trust his wife’s judgment, but would want a friend to make healthcare decisions if the wife is unavailable rather than his own mother. A Healthcare Power of Attorney can prevent decision problems before they come up by putting these wishes in writing.

Also these are some things to consider when choosing a proxy:

When deciding which of the potential people to ask to be your Healthcare Proxy, keep in mind that people will interact with the Proxy as if he or she is expressing your wishes - whether the person is or not.

Consider:

• The person's age. You do not want someone who cannot make a legally binding decision (say under age 18).
    • The person's mental and emotional ability.
      • The Proxy should be someone who is legally competent, who can understand what is happening and the alternatives, and can apply your wishes to the situation.
      • The Proxy should also be someone who can make objective decisions in an emotional situation. An in-law may be one step removed from the emotional overlay of the situation.
    • How well the person knows you and your wishes.
    • How comfortable you are discussing these issues with the person.
    • Whether the person respects your right to receive the level of treatment that you want - even if your wishes differ from the person's own wishes in a similar situation.
    • Whether the person has strong religious or other beliefs that would make it difficult to make a decision that is based on your own wishes.
    • Whether the person has a financial interest in your continuing survival or in your early death.
    • Whether the person is strong and assertive enough to enforce your wishes should there be a conflict:
      • Without being intimidated by medical professionals. (Can he or she shout at a doctor if necessary?)
      • Possibly even against the opinions of other family members.
    • Whether the person is a sentimentalist. A sentimentalist may decide at the last moment to try to keep you alive against your wishes.
    • Whether the person will be available and accessible to you and your medical providers, preferably in person or at least by phone.
  • doublelife
    doublelife

Hapgood,

Thanks for the link. Lately, I've been having the same concerns regarding my husband. I'm considering asking my non-jw aunt to be my proxy. It's so messed up that we have to think about this. I feel like I'm betraying my husband by going behind his back and doing this but I know what will happen if I don't and then end up in an emergency situation.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I wear a "Medical Alert" pendant under my clothes. The insert says that my wife may not able to consent to blood treatments, due to her deep and sincere religious convictions, but if an emergency arises, I will consent..

I have a "living will" registered in my medical records too.

I am not so much afraid of any consequences of refusing it, but I do not want my wife to have to make a decision and be torn between her conscience, and me...and can you imagine the supreme irony if the worst should happen ? I could even be hailed by the dubs as a martyr to the cause !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit