Not Christmas....it's "Present Day" at the JW House

by Sam Whiskey 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

"Look what I got Tommy, it was present day at out house today. We don't need no silly ol' Christmas, we get gifts all year long. Anyway...today I got a new Bookbag and a new "Your yute, getting the best out of it" book. I also got a new water bottle for those hot summer days out in field service, you know, the days when it get's to be 105 degrees out. Ya, this will come in handy on those types of days. It should reduce my chances of getting a heat stroke...well, that's what Mom says anyway. "

"Well Tommy I gotta go now, I need to shovel the neighbors snow off the driveway for five bucks. I use the money to help Dad pay for groceries since He and Mom have been pioneerig so much lately."

• Heaven
    Heaven

Ours used to be "Merry Gift Exchange"!

Now we don't exchange anymore... but my bro and his kids and I do get together for a visit and some eats.

edited to add: If the "Your Youth" book is anything like the old one, use it as a coaster.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can remember seeing children not getting anything for Christmas. And not just because they didn't celebrate Christmas, either. I have been in homes where there were children, and it looked like they almost never got anything.

To start, when I went into the cancer, I had one occasion to visit the lead hounder. The first thing I noticed is that he had precisely zero electronic entertainment devices in the dump (and it was a dump, even though he used the house as a book study location). There was a whopping collection of theocraptic littera-trash, housed in nice looking bookcases. But there was absolutely nothing to have any fun with. And there were children in that place--with no toys to speak of.

Another witless, the one I studied with, had very little for fun. At the time, there were no children there. What I noticed was that he had a cheesy stereo system with Kingdumb s***, no TV, a Bible Washtowel trivia game, and virtually nothing for fun. I have seen one family at a Grand Boasting Session with three children, that were so excited with a Happy Meal binoculars (I tried them, and they had such crap optics that I could not make out anything with them that I couldn't have without). This is almost a sure sign that those children had very few, or no, toys to play with.

I believe this is going on throughout the religion. Some lucky children do in fact get gifts. However, all too many of them do without. They are even highlighted in the experiences at Grand Boasting Sessions as following the proper example--less toys means more time in field circus. Many of those children with little or nothing to play with are well equipped for field circus and boasting sessions. They certainly are not equipping those children to have any kind of fun--I believe those are the same children that are going to pio-sneer their lives away, and that the parents are very strict with music, field trips in school, associating with worldly people, and that they are not going to college. Many end up staying with their parents beyond age 30, for reasons other than financial necessity that is solely because of the economy.

This is all too often an excuse for witless parents to not give their children anything at all.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

I always used to wonder who the kids were that got presents all year! It sure didn't happen at our house!

We got a new dress for the district convention. Not really a toy

When we got older, a friend of my mom's talked about how they gave their kids presents on the parent's anniversary. It was the first time since being JW we actually had something to look forward to!

At least we had a grandmother who would buy us things and a dad that made sure we had bikes and outdoor toys! My mother sure wasn't generous. She counted every penny we owed her. We also didn't get an allowance. If I wanted something, I had to skip eating lunch at school and save my money.She was a real Scrooge.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit