NET

by mspep 7 Replies latest jw friends

• mspep
    mspep

Do you feel preoccupied with the Internet (think about previous on-line activity or anticipate next on-line session)?

Do you feel the need to use the Internet with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction?

Have you repeatedly made unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back, or stop Internet use?

Do you feel restless, moody, depressed, or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop Internet use?

Do you stay on-line longer than originally intended?

Have you jeopardized or risked the loss of significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of the Internet?

Have you lied to family members, therapist, or others to conceal the extent of involvement with the Internet?

Do you uses the Internet as a way of escaping from problems or of relieving a dysphoric mood (e.g., feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety, depression)?
    Patients were considered "addicted" when answering "yes" to five (or more) of the questions and when their behavior could not be better accounted for by a Manic Episode. Young (1996) stated that the cut off score of "five" was consistent with the number of criteria used for Pathological Gambling and was seen as an adequate number of criteria to differentiate normal from pathological addictive Internet use. I should note that while this scale provides a workable measure of Internet addiction, further study is needed to determine its construct validity and clinical utility. I should also note that a patient’s denial of addictive use is likely to be reinforced due to the encouraged practice of utilizing the Internet for academic or employment related tasks. Therefore, even if a patient meets all eight criteria, these symptoms can easily be masked as "I need this as part of my job," "Its just a machine," or "Everyone is using it" due to the Internet’s prominent role in our society.

Cognitions

Addictive thinkers, for no logical reason, will feel apprehensive, when anticipating disaster (Twerski, 1990). While addicts are not the only people who worry and anticipate negative happenings, they tend to do this more often than other people. Young (1996) suggested that this type of catastrophic thinking may contribute to addictive Internet use in providing a psychological escape mechanism to avoid real or perceived problems. In subsequent studies, she found that maladaptive cognitions such as low self-esteem and worth, and clinical depression triggered pathological Internet use (Young, 1997a, Young 1997b). Young (1997a) hypothesized that those who suffer from deeper psychological problems may be the ones who are drawn the most to the anonymous interactive capabilities of the Internet in order to overcome these perceived inadequacies.

http://www.netaddiction.com/articles/symptoms.htm

• rhett
    rhett

Yes, I am on here way too much but then again, I make my meager living from websites and website design.

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• avengers
    avengers

My answer is no to all your questions, but maybe you are talking about yourself?

"Few are they that look through their own eyes and feel with their own heart"
    A Einstein
  • Gopher
    Gopher

How kind of this representative of the Society to remind us of the dangers of the Internet! Everybody resign from JW.COM immediately!

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• mspep
    mspep

I'm not apart of the "society" as you call it. I think you are a little paranoid there aren't you..

• Gopher
    Gopher

No MSPEP, I'm not paranoid. Anyone who knows me well knows better. I was being abrupt with you, as you were with us!

You jumped in here without any introduction, and proceeded to lecture the group on the dangers of the internet. Why? Are you serious? If so, what leads you to these viewpoints?

The readers of the thread would appreciate knowing there's a thinking person behind your posts, rather than a cutter-and-paster, that's all. I'm just trying to be helpful in my own abrupt little way.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Simon
    Simon

I think the 'dangers' of the internet are far outweighed by the benefits. All the new friends you can make around the world ... the job & educational resources ... the games if nothing else and hey, pictures of Britney ! (oops ... there goes one New Year Resolution!)

How about:

Do you feel preoccupied with being off the the Internet and involved with only a few, local people?

Do you feel the need to limit use of the Internet in order to somehow achieve satisfaction?

Have you repeatedly made unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back, or stop Internet use? Are you still paying for dialup connectivity? Have you considered broadband / flat-rate yet?

Do you feel restless, moody, depressed, or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop Internet use? If so then why are you doing this?

Do you stay on-line longer than originally intended? You may need a faster connection ...

Have you jeopardized or risked the loss of significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of avoiding the Internet?

Have you lied to family members, therapist, or others to conceal the lack of any involvement with the Internet? You sad luddite ...

• LaDonnaAna
    LaDonnaAna

Simon,

You asked for Britney????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit