My First Christmas Dinner

by Abe L. Toseenow 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• Abe L. Toseenow
    Abe L. Toseenow

My family is all in, but my wife's family are not JWs, except for her mom and sister(more on her later). My wife's uncle calls and invites us to the family Christmas dinner on Sunday. He says he doesn't understand why we never come, he always tells my wife's JW mom to invite us, but when she comes shes says we couldn't make it. Her mom is such a trouble maker! My wife asks me what I think, I told her I was all for it. We went, spent all day there and had a great time. Much to my surprise there were no human sacrifices, no drinking of blood, or animal sacrifices to the Sun gods. Just family, getting together for food and drink, spending some time catching up.

My wife's JW mother wanted to come but couldn't drive there, my wife told her she couldn't come after all it was a holiday party, and they were never allowed to go when they were kids, so why would it be okay for her to attend now. Her mom was really mad. Oh well, thats life. The best was my wife's JW sister,she has always gone to these parties as well as thanksgiving. We arrived before her, she walks in with Christmas gifts and cards for everybody!! I was dying inside my wife was like, what the heck? About two hours later my wife's uncle says to her, are you going outside for a smoke? Her sister comes back in and says to my wife, well I guess you know I smoke now, by the way I have a worldly boyfriend too! It was the greatest day EVER!!!!

What made me happiest was, my kids got their first Christmas gifts and cards!! Maybe now we can have a somewhat normal life.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Your mother in law and sister in law don't sound like jws to me. Other than the m-i-l being a troublemaker, good for them. What did your kids think of celebrating Christmas?

• Abe L. Toseenow
    Abe L. Toseenow

JB- My m-i-l is the most self-righteous JW ever, she a phony and not a nice person at all. My s-i-l has been DF'd 3 times in the last 10 yrs I never understood why she keeps going back. We have never really seen eye to eye, but I think when she realized I wasnt being judgemental towards her she kinda warm-up a little. As for my kids, my 4 yr old loved it, she was singing jingle bells and rudolph the red nosed raindeer. My 8 yr old was ok with it but didnt really get into it so much. My wife isnt as far along as I am with the whole JWs are wrong thing, so my 8 yr old is a little confused. But I am trying to help her understand.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Good for you Abe!

It truly is a joy to be a part of the human race and to enjoy the camadarie of your community by participating in the local customs.

Christmas is a wonderful time of year! The brain-washing JW version of Christmas time seems so laughable to me, now that I have experienced the "spirit of Christmas" in the "evil" world.

Even though I do not believe in the whole Jesus story - I embrace the celebration and what it has become for the human family. After all Christmas is more pagan than Christian anyway! . Either way the modern celebration gives us all an excuse to get together and celebrate the ideals that we all agree are important... peace and a spirit of giving and sharing.

What could be wrong with that?

Enjoy it Abe!

Cheers!

The Oracle

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    As for my kids, my 4 yr old loved it, she was singing jingle bells and rudolph the red nosed raindeer. My 8 yr old was ok with it but didnt really get into it so much. My wife isnt as far along as I am with the whole JWs are wrong thing, so my 8 yr old is a little confused. But I am trying to help her understand.

If you can, expose her to some kind of charitable work, and then she'll understand the real spirit of Christmas.

• dissed
    dissed

Family together bonding.....nice

What's wrong with that?

• Emma
    Emma

My boss, an agnostic, celebrates the season and had this to say:

"[...]let me close with a Christmas thought. I’m a big fan of Christ and his values. Somehow, I choose to think he would have sympathized with the philosopher Marcus Aurelius when he advised, "Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods but they are unjust, you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

I rather think Christ’s message was “Live a good life.” That’s the sentiment I like to honor and celebrate this season, so in that spirit, Merry Christmas!!!"

Enjoy this beautiful season!

Emma

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit