For all drum players ......a question about vintage set from the 60's

by restrangled 7 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

My son was given by his uncle a huge, complete set of drums by Ludwig from the 60's. It includes all the cymbals, stands, etc. Everything has the Ludwig name.

Demo,weatherking. Emperor Batter plus numbers.

Here is my question? Should this be stored in a safer place besides the hot garage? I tried looking on line but can't seem to get what I need.

If you have any suggestions, I really would appreciate it! (I'm dreading storage in the house, but will do it if needed)

• DNCall
    DNCall

You should not store it in the garage unless it is cool and dry all year-round. Even then, make sure the drums and accessories are wrapped and protected from dust. It sounds like a valuable drum set.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks DNCall....I was not sure what to do..!!!!!

Thank you.

r.

• MrCellophane
    MrCellophane

I concur with the advice provided by DNCall. If the set is going to be used for a period of time I'd further suggest that the tension screws on both sides of all drums be loosed to just finger tight. This will take the tension off the heads and reduce stretching and warping. Also, it would be best not to not stack the drums for any period of time. Stacking them on their heads will damage the heads and stacking them on their shells will cause them to warp.

If this is a '60s vintage set in good condition, as DNCall said, it could indeed be a valuable set.

• MrCellophane
    MrCellophane

Sorry for my typo. Of course, I meant to write "If the set is NOT going to be used for a period of time..."

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Kinda depends on condition and matirial/color, but in general I'd guess close to a grand. If particularly desirable finish, twice that.

See if you can find what you have on eBay, that's generally a good way to start valuing something like this.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Void eater talked about the finish. It looks like wood, with lots of metal and clear tops on most, plus 4 cymbals.

I appreciate all the input. I quess I need to store this in the house...the entire thing is huge..ARGGGG.

r

• beksbks
    beksbks

R, my son would be happy to store it for you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit