My husband accepted a Christmas present from me.

by doublelife 8 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

I know it's not Christmas yet but I got my Christmas bonus from work and took him to the mall. I had him pick whatever he wanted and told him it would be his Christmas present and he still let me buy it. As we were leaving the store I looked at him and said,"Merry Christmas!" He looked at me and shook his head and said, "You're bad." I told him that the pinata principle applies and he just doesn't wanted to admit it. He just kept shaking his head and said no. So this morning we're at IHOP and the waiter comes over and asked if we're getting ready for Christmas. He freezes and looks at me like he doesn't know what to say. So I looked at the waiter and said yes and get this. My husband plays along and said yes too. After the waiter left he didn't say anything but gives me a look like he doesn't know what to do with me. I just thought it was funny and wanted to share. Mouthy posted a link on another thread that shows how to reason with JWs about Christmas and I'm thinking of bringing up some of those questions with my husband.

• nugget
    nugget

It sounds like you've been having a lot of fun. Take it slow though you don't want your husband going into shock and cracking down before Xmas. There may be signs of a thaw though which is fabulous for you.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

hehehe...he's havin' fun.

lisa

• mouthy
    mouthy

Mouthy posted a link on another thread that shows how to reason with JWs about Christmas and I'm thinking of bringing up some of those questions with my husband.

We;ll I am glad somebody will use it SO many read it ,I hope some JWS did Thanks Doublelife

• greenie
    greenie

Where's that post, Mouthy?

• greenie
  • jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Accepting a Christmas gift is an advancement, but he won't understand the true spirit of Christmas until he gives a gift. It's the most wonderful feeling! Good luck and God speed.

• garyneal
    garyneal

This reminds me of how things have been going between me and my wife this year. Her first year not celebrating since we got together and got married (6 years). I got her a gift which consumed about half my Christmas money. Gave it to her last week, unwrapped, a new digital camera. She loved it and was showing it off at her school and her family when we went to her grandfather's funeral. Now, no one on her dad's side of the family is a witness and in fact some of them have masonic connections (this just gets better and better) and the church where the funeral was held has all kinds of Christmas decorations.

My wife takes a picture of my daughter in front of their Christmas tree. She looks so precious as she 'strikes her pose' and all. Then a day later, my wife goes to a picture kiosk in Walmart and frames that picture in a Christmassy border and adds the text, "Happy Holidays from The XXXX Family." (XXXX denotes our last name but I am not revealing our last name here on the board.) I ask who is it going to and she tells me that it is going to the woman we met at the funeral. The nice lady who is related to my father-in-law and has a relative who is a Freemason. I just said, "Oh okay." I just let her do her own thing and don't say a word.

Of course, she told her sister today (after the meeting of course) that she does not celebrate.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

It has been four yrs now since we quit going to meetings . I got involved right away with birthdays and holidays . This is the First year my husband actually made an effort to get me a gift .He set out a hundred dollar bill and told me to go buy what I want him to give me ! Haahahaha I told him he was very very good to me this year .

He use to just shake his head and tell me I was bad too . He also would get the deer in the headlights look when people asked him about Christmas ,now slowly he is getting comfortable about it . I thought the Elders visit today might put a wrench into his holiday spirit ,but so far so good he just ordered a present for himself online .

So hang in there it just takes time ,and I think when they see how much fun and enjoyment your having they will naturally want to participate .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit