How accurate is the Worldwide Report

by nugget 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nugget
    nugget

I was talking with the Cong secretary the other day and he told me that all reports are rounded up before they are sent to the society. I was just starting to think about how all this rounding up has an impact on the overall totals.

Some publishers may round up or guesstimate their figures reporting additional time, Congregation secretaries round up the cong report anything from 15 minutes to 45 minutes. When you start extrapollating that across all the publishers and all congregations the margin of error becomes enormous.

The report becomes less meaningful each month by the end of the year we are potentially millions of hours adrift of the actual number. Why do Jws report at all?

• alanv
    alanv

If the rounding up is for the total publisher report for that month and you had 100 publishers doing 10 hours which equates to 1000 hours, then you are talking about .1% difference.

However if the rounding up is for individual publishers going maybe from 9.25 to 10 hours a month then that could start to make a difference.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Let's not forget the congregation secretaries that pad the congo's time. Brothers would always give my mom a few hours a month when she didn't turn in time. Since my mom is very friendly, they would tell her its impossible that she didn't talk to several people about the kingdom message. Then just like that...anywhere from 3 to 5 hours.

If more publishers knew the details of how time is reported, they would probably stop turning in time slips. Many believe that the GB\Branch\Society know of their individual time, knows who is inactive vs the super-publishers. This is very far from the truth.

Was shocked years ago to find out that the elders only send in totals with no names. All of the tracking of inactive ones, pioneer time, etc, is all done at the congregation level. Walmart knows more about you than the GB.

I won't even mention how many aux and reg pioneers pad their time...and not just by a few hours.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There is widespread fraud in those reports. They always round up (never down), inflating the numbers. They correct errors that understate the true numbers, but do not correct those numbers that are too high. Together with all the fake time slips (whether the publisher turns in a fake time slip to avoid a hounding or has one turned in on their behalf to appease the hounder-hounder), I would say that a sizable percentage of those "publishers" are fake.

Add the children that are forced in, and the inflation could be as much as half, or more than half, the total.

• nugget
    nugget

Thank you for your responses. It is a shame that something that is used to determine privileges and spiritual health is so arbitary., I cannot believe that publishers are told they can count time in 15 minutes but the society can't process figures to 2 decimal points.

• bob1999
    bob1999

"Why do Jws report at all?"

Good question.

Peace

• Heaven
    Heaven

The reporting of time spent 'out on service' was one of the things that irked me. It's not in the Bible.

As for the accuracy of the Worldwide Report, if there is 'rounding up' going on, then the report is bogus.

• Simon
    Simon
    I won't even mention how many aux and reg pioneers pad their time...and not just by a few hours.

The few times I'd been out in service with a pioneer it turned out that "we" had spend more time witnessing than actual time that had elapsed. I thought we'd done an hour but apparently, once all these weird and wonderful rules had been applied, we'd done about three!

• Vachi 8 He Is
    Vachi 8 He Is

I'd say the society wants reported time so they can keep tabs on them. If the report comes in and multiple halls are slipping, they send in the DO or CO. If it's within a single cong, then the have an elder jump in your face.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

lol at Simon!

Very funny and very true. Most of the pioneers I knew were all terrible liars when it came to the time they really spent in the ministry.

As an elder I busted a few for their generous time counting when I went through my very brief "by the book phase". Then I developed my more liberal elder policies when it came to such trivialities and let everybody get away with murder. Little did I know at the time, the entire thing was BS!

Oh well. Live and learn.

The Oracle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit