where does the term 'New World' come from?

by sowhatnow 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

Im wondering with all its mason or  alumni or whatever, background, what significance would the term 'new world'

come from for the title of their bible? anyone have research for that subject?

the term new world order is no longer used, but the new world translation is. to me that says something in itself.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Aldous Huxley's novel Brave New World, I think.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Huxley wrote of a scary world in which everybody was coerced into believing the same, thinking the same and as good as worshipping The World Order , where family values disappeared and The Society was everything...(and new technology was embraced with gusto) . Nothing like our friends at Brooklyn, .....is It ?????

I do not know where the WTS got the phrase first. The only place you find it in the Bible is in the title of the NWT 

I accept that 2 Peter does speak of " new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to his promise, and in these righteousness is to dwell."..

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    it was a printing mistake.  it was supposed to be New Word.
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

do we suppose the bible society at the time felt they had some sort of common goal with this mans ideas?

maybe it was a popular trend in those days.

and still, it is all from mans imperfect materialistic viewpoint to begin with.

id just be curious to know why they chose that title for a bible. what was their reasons behind it.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
     The new world was always their key teaching instead of heaven wasn't it?
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Probably a few connotations were in mind,  such as ...

New world as to a new world under the guidance and ruleship of Jesus Christ (since1914)

New World as to using modern language as replacing old language wording such as thee and thou 

New translations as to making better interpretations on their own accord.  

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

The Roman poet Virgil wrote his ECOLOGUE in which, as interpreted by Christians, Virgil made a prophetic

mention of the coming of Christ. Christians Pilgrims saw their work on earth as a time of preparing men's 

hearts for the New Order (or, alternately: the New World Order) by leading pure lives as an example.

American currency quotes: Novus ordo seclorum on the back of the dollar bill (referencing Virgil's poem.)

Latin scholar Charles Thompson desgined the Great Seal of the United States in which those words are used.

The New World Society is explained by Jehovah's Witness apologist author, Marley Cole in his book.

https://archive.org/details/JehovahsWitnessesTheNewWorldSocietyByMarleyCole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit