"Fleshly" brother

by Half a Person 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Half a Person
    Half a Person

After leaving the congregation, I've begun to notice some weird aspects of "JW-ism" that I wouldn't have batted an eyelid about a few years back.

For example, tonight I heard the phrase "fleshly brother" - meaning someone's literal brother, as opposed to some random bloke who simply happens to belong to the same religion.

And I thought about this, and I thought: "This is wrong."

I think two of the biggest problems with the JW religion are that (1) It interferes with a person's ability to think clearly, even distorting the relationship between cause and effect, and (2) it attempts to redefine the meaning of words themselves, appropriating them for its own ends. A "vocabulary hijack", if you will.

A word as fundamental as "brother", meaning someone in your family. Someone sharing a large part of your DNA. And yet this word is redefined, so that a whole load of people who were previously strangers now become "brothers". And anyone who previously used to be a brother, now gets relegated to "fleshly brother" (or "biological relative", which sounds like a kind of laundry detergent).

It's not an original observation, but I thought it was interesting how powerful words are in their subtle influence over a person's viewpoint.

• Heaven
    Heaven

It's all part of mind control. And it definitely creeps you out once you realize it. They use 'loaded language' .... item #6 from www.jwfacts.com under "Fear and Mind Control" (http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/fear-cult-mind-control.php):

A new vocabulary emerges within the context of the group. Group members "think" within the very abstract and narrow parameters of the group's doctrine. The terminology sufficiently stops members from thinking critically by reinforcing a "black and white" mentality. Loaded terms and clichés prejudice thinking.

'the truth', 'new system', 'worldly people', 'disfellowship' 'Jehovah's Organization', 'RV's', 'door to door' and 'theocratic'
  • VoidEater
    VoidEater

Every subcultural develops its own lingo. Listen to any popular music today, and if you're under 30 you will be challenged.

But when such gets used within krazy kults, it becomes a tool of brainwashing.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

If I ever hear a dub use that term, I will stop dead in my tracks, look at him oddly and say, "If your brother is fleshy, he really needs some diet and exercise."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit