Was Judas the good guy?

by dudeson 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dudeson
    dudeson

I mean somebody had to do it. I guess if someone called me Judas I'd take it as a compliment.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I agree. Why would people hate the guy who facilitated the "sacrifice of jesus that freed everyone of sin"?

Like you said... someone had to do it.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

I read this a while ago, thought it may be of interest to the topic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-einsman/redemonizing-judas-gospel_b_285093.html

Judas is one story that is just not told right by most churches... but an important lesson is learned here- keep your friends close and your enemies closer!

• Robdar
    Robdar

Anybody seen the movie, The Last Temptation of Christ?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

The story of Judas really bothered me as a JW child.

He was an apostle, chosen by Jesus, yet Jesus foretold his "denial" of him. Well, what does that mean exactly? That he was not fit to be an apostle? That he did NOT have free will because Jesus told him his own future actions? Or perhaps he was indeed being used and fulfilling a role in that scenario. The fact that he could not take the horror and the sorrow (and he took his own life afterwards) just adds to the sadness and the pain of the entire affair.

If this tale is to be believed at all, I think the Gnostic scroll tells it much more conceivably.

• dudeson
    dudeson

After reading the article lillith posted I'd have to say this quote sums my feelings up exactly: "The point, however, is that the entire character of "Judas Iscariot" is generated out of whole cloth and it is meant to be."

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Same is true for Satan.

You can't play out the story without all the actors.

• dudeson
    dudeson

VoidEater: That's pretty much what everything boils down to.

• glenster
  • sir82
    sir82

Take a look at the apocryphal "Gospel of Judas", likely written in the 2nd century AD. The whole idea of the book is that Judas was the only one of the 12 apostles who really understood why Jesus came and what had to be done, and his "betrayal" was really not betrayal at all, but obedience to Jesus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Judas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit