What if.... the JW's didn't have to turn in service reports?

by dissed 6 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

When I was a youngin at Bethel in the 70's, a Bethel Elder mentioned to our crew that they were discussing the possibility of ending service reports. He wanted to know our thoughts and how could the Elders and the WTS monitor the preaching work if they changed the service reporting? Would the work go down without the monitoring?

Most of our crew were excited at that thought and gave reasons why they liked it.

"Without forced service, the JW's could serve from the heart and not what others thought they should do"

"It should be between you and JG anyways"

"JG loves a cheerful giver"

One Bro thought it was bad idea, saying the work would suffer terribly, not having people turn in slips.

We had a great discussion over the matter and probably represented the feelings of most of the JW's. The Elder respected all our thoughts. But obviously the GB didn't, because its been 35 years and still no change on their weird and strange practice. Was the GB too afraid to do this, thinking the work would go down?

So, my questions for discussion is....

What if....they discontinued the requirement and said, just do what your heart moves you to do?

What would the 'rank and file' do? Would they be consistent in service or develope other habits, like working on the house, etc..etc..

How about the pioneers? With no requirements hanging over them, how much effort would they put out? Would they continue to work part-time and push themselves to share in service at all times?

What about the MS's and Elders? How could they be monitored that they were setting the right example in the ministry?

And the final poll question......

If the JW's are averaging 8.8 hrs a month now, what would be your guess as to what the real average would be, if they were not forced to share in service by the monitoring program?

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Without the threat of being labeled "inactive" or "irregular", which of course the elder's wives promptly telll everyone in the circuit through the gossip mill that you are inactive or irregular, the vast majority of JWs would stop going in the door to door work.

I got almost all of my time in by talking to people heart to heart so it woudlnt' have affected me at all.

I cannot speak for elders, MS, or pioneers, I wasn't in any of those clicks, but for the average publisher who is just hanging in there every month with their 7 to 10 hours? Pretty much all of them would stop going in service altogether.

The WTBTS authorities should not be monitoring the field service work in any way shape or form.

Of course the GB is terrified that the rank and file's true dedication and motivation to the "preaching" work will be exposed without the threat of being marked for being irregular or inactive.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It would be 1 less thing the WBT$ could beat you over the head with..

It`s never going to happen..

The WBT$ looks for more weapons..Not less..

• ssn587
    ssn587

If one thinks about it, If no time was required to be turned in, many wouldn't be going out at all and only haphazzardly at that. When that happened then the $$$ going to the crooks in crooklyn would really start drying up. No one would want to pay for (er....I mean donate for) the mags, books, cds. etc.,The drop in reveneus would cause very serious harm to them borg and eventually lead to their drying up also. That in my opinion is why they push hours and field service not, because of any alturistic feelings they may have for anyone.

• the real life
    the real life

Most people don't like going door to door. I think without reports, people would stop door to door work and make an effort to talk to friends, neighbors, workmates, etc. On the other hand, the organization is based on rules and witnesses are used to being spoon-fed instructions on how to behave in all matters. So without rules and regulations, some may not even know where to begin if the only requirement was to do something from the heart. In which case, the "preaching work" in the form of a campaign would just stop.

• dissed
    dissed

There is no scriptual support for time slips, just the contrary. "Gifts in secret"

Its strictly a rule the GB has made to monitor the work and a tool to measure the efforts of each individual JW.

Another way to control the Brethren? Yes, and in a most serious way. If the GB stopped this practice, I agree with others here, the preaching work would come to a stop. A pretty serious indictment of the JW's, no? They only would do this work if someone on Earth is watching.

The JW's would not pass the test of the policeman at a Stop Sign illustration. Would you run a Stop Sign if a policeman parked his car at the sign? No, only if it was free and clear would a person try to run the sign. For the JW's, especially the GB. They NEED to park that police car right under the sign or all JW's will run it, if no one is looking.

The GB's control over its mislead flock is very shallow in some areas, this is one. The GB is COMPLETELY afraid to change this method of control, knowing it would lead to the end of their organization as we know it.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

How much does it stop born agains from preaching? Many born agains are more active than the witlesses, and as far as I know, they do not have any requirements to report their activity. However, they do adhere more closely to their Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit