Jesus as "Eternal" Father?

by jonathan dough 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

The JWs claim that Jesus is the Eternal Father at Isaiah 9:6. But if that's true, why do they dump Him after the 1,000 years? I thought Jesus intercedes forever?

Not only do the Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that Jesus Christ is a mere angel (Reasoning, 218) but they discard him and his services as an intermediary and helper with respect to his role as propitiation, his sacrificial death.

Since sin and death are to be completely removed from earth’s inhabitants, this also brings to an end the need for Jesus’ serving as “a helper with the Father” in the sense of providing propitiation for the sins of imperfect humans. (1Jo 2:1, 2) That brings mankind back to the original status enjoyed when the perfect man Adam was in Eden. Adam, while perfect, needed no one to stand between him and God to make propitiation. So, too, at the termination of Jesus’ Thousand Year Reign rule, earth’s inhabitants will be both in position and under responsibility to answer for their course of action before Jehovah God as the Supreme Judge, without recourse to anyone as legal intermediary, or helper. (Insight, 170)
    http://144000.110mb.com/144000/i-7.html#VIII
  • jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

This is false teaching, and assumes man is meant to revert back to a state of innocents and nakedness, a condition before Adam, before he partook of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, when he was susceptible to death. Mankind has grown beyond that, and the gift envisioned is a new creation, where death is no more, where man cannot die and thus will be in a condition unlike what Adam and Eve enjoyed.

More importantly, the sacrificial Lamb, Jesus, is the expiation for our sins (1 John 2:1), and without his continuous eternal presence as the propitiation there can be no continued reconciliation with God. Unlike the high priest under the Law who yearly repeatedly offered animal blood sacrifice for temporary remission of sins on behalf of the people, Jesus, as high priest forever on the order of Melchizedek intercedes as high priest with the propitiation of his body forever. That this sacrificial Lamb will not be discarded is visually evident by his eternal presence on the throne. After the holy city Jerusalem comes down out of heaven in the concluding chapters of Revelation, John sees the propitiatory sacrificed Lamb on God’s throne, twice.

1 And he showed me a river of water of life, clear as crystal, flowing out from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 down the middle of its broad way. And on this side of the river and on that side [there were] trees of life producing twelve crops of fruit, yielding their fruits each month. And the leaves of the trees [were] for the curing of the nations. 3 And no more will there be any curse. But the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in [the city], and his slaves will render him sacred service; … (Rev. 22:1-3)

The Lamb serves eternally as the propitiatory once-sacrificed Lamb and as intercessor, legal intermediary, between God and resurrected, glorified man. If Christ were thrown out all men would lose access to Jehovah God.

21 (for there are indeed men that have become priests without a sworn oath, but there is one with an oath sworn by the One who said respecting him: “Jehovah has sworn (and he will feel no regret), ‘You are a priest forever,’”) 22 to that extent also Jesus has become the one given in pledge of a better covenant. 23 Furthermore, many had to become priests [in succession] because of being prevented by death from continuing as such, 24 but he because of continuing alive forever has his priesthood without any successors. 25 Consequently he is able also to save completely those who are approaching God through him, because he is always alive to plead (make intercession NAB, ESV) for them. (Heb. 7:21-25 NWT)
    http://144000.110mb.com/144000/i-7.html#VIII
  • Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Some argue that Jesus is Jehovah.

When Adam and Eve fell, God could no longer commune directly with man. Jehovah became the intercessor until the end of the Millennium, after which he will have completed his work and offers it back to the Father. His work will then be complete. Thus, Jesus says, "Before Abraham was I [known as] I Am." The Jews understood this declaration to be that Jesus was associating himself with Jehovah. The scripture also states, "The FATHER judges no man, but has committed ALL JUDGMENT to the SON." Thus it is that Jehovah will come to judge the Nations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit