Do You Believe......

by chapstick 8 Replies latest jw friends

• chapstick
    chapstick

As we all know the net is chock full in conspiracy theories, Bible prophets and end of the world prognosticators. Some of the things being promoted are UFO invasions, end of the world in 2012, asteroid strikes, the rapture, aliens disquising themselves as humans, a one world government and a new world currency. All this just scratches the surface. What I'd like to know is which or what, if any you put any credence in? Personally the 2012 thing is kind of interesting. I've done a little research on it and it seems that there does seem to be some pretty drastic worldwide catastrophies that occur about every 3-4 thousand years. The "true believers" say that the orbit of the planet Nibiru is in an eliptical orbit that is 3600 years long and is due to return in late 2012. Now I'm not out building an underground bunker and stocking it with food but it actually is a fascinating subject if you look into it and do your best to ignore the real nut jobs and their websites. Another possibility associated with this planet or dead star as some say is the possibility of it's relationship with the flood myths that are common in most if not all world cultures. No folks, I don't believe in the Biblical flood but I do believe there was some carastrophe involving water that had an effect on the memories of all these people. The stories are just too similar. A very large passing planitary body could have had gravitational effects resulting in some rather massive sunamies. It also could have caused a large asteroid to leave its orbit and hit the sea, again causing massive sunamies. Sure this is pure speculation based on very limited and sketchy evidence but it is fascinating to ponder and research. It's certainly something well within the realm of possibility. There are other theories that I also find very interesting, but I won't go into them all. They do have some basic scientific content however. Are there any of these "theories" you find interesting that include some basis in possibility? What, for example is your opinion on man made carbon dioxide based global warming? We know for certain that drastic world weather can and has changed drasticly in the very recent past. The "little ice age" ended just over 100 years ago and had lasted 6 centuries. The event didn't take centuries to start either, just a couple of years. Worldwide catastrophies can and do happen suddenly.

chapstick

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Now I'm not out building an underground bunker and stocking it with food but it actually is a fascinating subject if you look into it and do your best to ignore the real nut jobs and their websites.

I would suggest that you hone up your investigation techniques. Did it occur to you to look at the NASA website to see what they have to say?

Type 2012 into their search box and the first hit is on that subject. http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

Cheers

Chris

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

If one says when it will happen, it won't, murphy's law LOL

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

If the 2012 prophecies are anything like the movie they are sure to disappoint! Though it is an interesting subject. The Mayans calender points to Dec 21 2012 as the rebirth of the world I think. Tell you what Dec 20th 2012 - what a party that will be!!!!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I believe. . .

the return/enter key should be used for creating separate, easy to read paragraphs when I want people to read a long post.

No offense intended, but I saw the lack of format to the first post and just didn't bother reading it.

• trueblue
    trueblue

I would think if someone pointed one of these into the sky someone would surely think it were a UFO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBxPYhOnKv0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luOXAueUPoI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9h3J5GblcM

• trueblue
  • dissed
    dissed

No. Been around awhile and these stories always are popping up, then go away.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Remember Y2K? I'm not putting any stock into it, but I'll read anything NASA has to say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit