The Jesus Sutras

by digderidoo 8 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Is anyone familiar with these writings?

I've just been looking them up after i was talking to someone about them. As Christianity took hold in the West, the East developed their own form of Christianity. This was fused with Buddhism and Toaism, mucht he same way as Roman Western Christianity was fused with pagan celebrations (Christmas/Saturnalia. etc). These ancient writings were found in the begining of the 20th century.

The theology presents Jesus as a way to freedom from the inevitable round of reincarnation and suffering which dominated that society. This Christianity is vegetarian, anti-slavery and killing in any way, gives equality to male and female and tells people that they are basically good. And it lives contended alongside other faiths.

Compare this with the Christianity of the same time in England. The original ideas in the life of Jesus are expressed through Greek and Roman culture, Christian symbols fuse with strange beasts and designs of Celtic art as can be seen in the Lindisfarne gospels. This Christianity accepts the warfare, slavery and male dominance of western society. It tells people that they are basically bad because of Adam and Eve and "original sin". And it seeks to be the only religion.

At the time of the Jesus Sutras Christianity was an eastern religion; there were more Christians east of the Holy Land than there were to the west. But there had been a theological argument over the nature of Christ so that the west disconnected itself from the eastern Christians and labelled them Nestorian heretics. There was also the political split between the western idea of Christianity run as the Roman Empire had been and the east where different areas (Indian, Persia, Tibet, China) had always been politically independent.

As somebody who has an interest in Buddhism and Eastern philosophy, i'm definately going to order myself a copy as it looks a good read.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Nobody??

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sounds intedestink. Nestorians, eh?

S

• White Dove
    White Dove

It's interesting the way that religions form and change and influence.

• poppers
    poppers

It does sound interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Never heard of this...sounds EXCITING! I will google...thanks for sharing...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Looks very interesting. Google reveals quite a few hits. First link I tried I noticed an essay or blog by someone who translated some of these ancient documents. He says, "In the Sutras, Jesus is called “the Jade-Faced One,” because, for the Daoists, jade is the stone of immortality." I read that and am instantly reminded of the recent thread on "The Green Man" or Jack in the Green.

More to read. Thanks for posting this; I had never heard of the Jesus Sutras.

• freydo
    freydo

I Just finished the book HOLY BLOOD/HOLY GRAIL that inspired the DaVinci Code.

Is there anything scripturally to suggest that Jesus was celebate? And what if he wasn't?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I've heard of Kama Sutra. But this is the first I've heard of Jesus Sutras. Certainly not the same thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit