Why does God hate Grand Funk Railroad?

by HappyGuy 6 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Like all teenagers of the early 70s I LOVED Grand Funk Railroad. Especially their live album. Yes, Mark Farner is probably the worst guitar player in the history of music but Mel Shacher is THE best bass player in the history of music.

Their music is so silly. But, it is very danceable, happy, and fun.

Not only did they not sing about drugs, almost all their live shows were interrupted by Farner giving a 'lecture' about drug use.

I will never forget a day when one of the elders chose to grace our family with his presence, and I was very happy that he and his wife were visiting our little apartment, and as he walks in the front door he sees Grand Funk Railroad Live on my mother's stereo and he picks it up and sniffs like he smells something bad and says "This looks wild, this will have to go".

I asked why and he mumbled something about drugs and I said "But the band members dislike drugs and tell the young people not to use drugs", then he switched to the sex excuse, and I said "but their songs have no sexually explicit lyrics in them". This then turned into an oratory on "rock" music altogether.

I never did figure out why God hates Grand Funk. Don't you just love that name?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Your content did not sit well with the Borg local Sanhedrin police. Sorry about that. And Grand Funk Railroad is a great name for a band, it's a shame that I don't have more of their content.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

By the time I found GFR I had left home and the control that went with being a child of cult members and I could listen to whatever I liked.

I had a hunt through my LPs and couldn't find my original GFR album, but I see I have a copy ripped to my jukebox.

I didn't realise GFR were still together.

http://www.grandfunkrailroad.com/

Thanks for the reminder

Cheers

Chris

• stillin
    stillin

I'm getting closer to my home.

Maybe he didn't care for "Sin is a good man's brother."

Grand Funk rocks!

• thomas15
    thomas15

small tidbit, Mark Farner became a born again Christian.

• undercover
    undercover
    small tidbit, Mark Farner became a born again Christian.

Yea, I saw that as well somewhere. I remember being kinda disappointed when I learned it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Like all teenagers of the early 70s I LOVED Grand Funk Railroad.

Well, sorry but they were not so well known over here..I have heard of them, but cannot recall their songs (any other Brits please correct me if I am wrong)

But anyway...The WTS polemics against rock music was complete nonsense...An elder may have derided them, but I guarantee that GOD does not hate the band, or any other...

In those days I kept my record collection well under wraps, even though I got to be an elder I loved rock music..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit