Does JW Upbringing Result In Inferior Adults?

by minimus 18 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

I don't think that growing up as a witness makes anyone necessarily " inferior " to anyone else. Only that witness children are a lot less informed than children brought up in other " normal " Christian religions. Witnesses aren't allowed access to important information in the outside world which would help them develop coping skills in the business world. Many times witness young people have trouble with social skills dealing with people outside the JW cult. But as Gayle mentioned if after exiting the cult - skills are developed emotionally, mentally educating oneself - then a former witness can be a very productive person in society even if having been raised up in it. Like many of us were

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I think the main issue with me is a feeling of confidence. I felt it only at rare moments, but never allowed myself to feel good about what I knew, or what I could do. I really bought into the whole not letting oneself have pride. I never wanted to be the outstanding nail that would just get hammered down.

I'm working on all that, though. It's just tough sometimes.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

No play time (field circus takes that away).

No fun at the boasting sessions.

Spankings and beating galore, usually for doing what children naturally do.

No holidays or birthdays.

Being isolated from others in school ("bad associations", forced witlessing).

Getting poor grades because they are too tired after the evening boasting session the night before or because they couldn't study because of field circus.

No college or extracurricular activities.

Wasting all their school vacations in field circus.

Being told that all sexual expression is wrong, until they get married (which will not magically eliminate the hangups).

All careers pounced on except pio-sneering. Window washing and toilet scrubbing jobs are common.

I would say that this results in inferior adults.

• yesidid
    yesidid

Great post Lady Lee

Thank you

y

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Minimus,

I know what you are trying to say and I am not sure the question can be answered accurately. You would have to do a survey of all JWs both active and inactive.

You should not have used the word inferior. What you mean is below-par or underachiever. Even being an underachiever, in and of itself, doesn't make a person 'inferior' because the underachiever may have very good morals and be very kind and well liked and have a happy life.

The question you asked if a person's quality of life suffers because of having been a JW, I would have to answer No as far as I am concerned even though I may have my issues. I think everybody - even non-JWs - have 'issues' of one sort or another. I wasn't raised in the religion but came in as a young adult. Other people may not feel the same way and I refer to those raised in the religion especially if they were abused. Some may feel they have missed out on a better education and career. So, materially Yes they may have suffered. But, they can still try to be happy IMO.

• minimus
    minimus

I know more than a few sub-par JWs.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I hope not!

• minimus
    minimus

Just to clarify, most people think that if a person is raised a JW, the result will be that they are ill equipped to deal with normal life and situations. Their quality is diminished because of what they have become. They cannot be who they could be because they become stifled. They are less educated and quite often have emotional issues because they should not go to "worldly" experts. The result is that such ones often are considererd "lesser" thanothers who take advantage of opportunities, education, talent and abilities.

• NanaR
    NanaR

I certainly don't think so. I was raised a Witness and I don't consider myself an inferior person.

If anything, I believe my Witness upbringing made me a stronger person in the long run. Swimming against the tide and all that.

Ruth

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit