Post Thanksgiving Dinner

by garyneal 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

I go to my home town to visit my family for the holidays. Originally, I did not want to go and instead wanted to see my sister for Thanksgiving. My wife wanted to go home so we did. I ended up eating turkey dinner alone (without my daughter and wife) with my 'worldly' family. Well, it is official, my wife is a j-dub.

We go to my wife's uncle's house the following Friday. He's 'worldly' and celebrated thanksgiving but my in-laws cannot see him on Thursday. Fair compromise I guess. Now, my wife's aunt arrives, she is a witness on disability married to a witness on disability so neither work and can go out in field service all to their hearts are content.

I talk to the aunt, she is kind of a trip in a way, we discuss turkey dinners.

Aunt: "Did you buy a turkey Gary?"
    Me: "No, I ate with my family."
    Aunt: "You should've gotten a turkey. They are 14 cents a pound."
    Me: "Did you get one?"
    Aunt: "I got two!"
    Me: "Did you eat some yesterday (thanksgiving)?"
    Aunt: "Nah, Nah, we are not suppose to do that."
    Me: "Why buy the turkey then?"
    Aunt: "Gary, can you only eat turkey on one day of the year?"
    Me: "No, so when are you planning to eat it?"
    Aunt: "I dunno, maybe in a year."
    Me: "A year?! Do you have a freezer?"
    Aunt: "YEAH, YEAH, as big as that fridge right there!"
    Me: "Okay, okay..." At this point, no point in going back and forth with a diehard dub. The husband comes by.

Uncle: "Gary, Gary, when you gonna let me get that truck of yours."
    Me: "Tell you what, invite me over for turkey dinner and we'll talk."

We laugh but I can see where that will go. NO WHERE!

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

You'll pull your hair out trying to reason with a JW. Thanksgiving is one holiday the JWs should celebrate. Thanksgiving was most likely modeled after Sukkot ( Feast of Booths or Feast of Tabernacles). God commanded the Jews to celebrate this in Lev 23. The Bible even talks about Jesus celebrating the Feast of Tabernacles in the book of John. There is absolutely no biblical reason for the JWs not to celebrate a Thanksgiving type holiday.

What I want to know is this - is turkey really 14 cents a pound where you live? If so, I need to move.

• Open mind
    Open mind

We usually have Un-Thanksgiving on Friday. Plenty of turkey and JWs to go around.

om

• garyneal
    garyneal

Saoirse

I think I did hear her say that it was 14 cents a pound but I could be mistaken (now that I think about it, that does sound really cheap). Since I did not buy any myself (ate at my mom's) I did not see the prices for myself this year. One thing I know about this aunt of my wife's, she is a real trip (she and her husband) but they sometimes speak rather presumptiously so I have to take a lot of what they say with a grain of salt.

Personally, I cannot think of a single biblical reason why a JW can't celebrate Thanksgiving. When asked, they just respond that it is patriotic.

I called that night the black Friday thanksgiving dinner (that gave my sister-in-law a good chuckle).

• xeracia
    xeracia

Thanksgiving does have many pagan roots. If you are curious, look here...

http://paganismwicca.suite101.com/article.cfm/thanksgiving_pagan_roots

My family often has a non-Thanksgiving turkey dinner on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I always thought it was rather silly of them. What difference does it make which day you eat turkey and dressing on?

• garyneal
    garyneal

xerc: I wonder how many Jehovah's Witnesses know about this? This would certainly give them more ammo for their Reasoning book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit