Thinking of taking some classes

by EmptyInside 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I'm still trying to figure things out here. But,I do have a question for those that started college many years after high school. How did you make the transition? I mean, I never even bothered taking college prep courses in school, because I didn't think I would ever consider going to college. I haven't been in school for 18 years now. Wow, aging myself. But, I've been in a rut long enough and need to make some changes. I think it best if I start with a class or two at community college or take a course on-line, less intimidating. Any suggestions?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Go talk with the admissions office at the school you want to go to. They'll give you a test that will indicate the proper level of course to start in. Once registered, just do your assignments. Nothing to it.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

GREAT IDEA! I think you will LOVE it.

I started taking classes when i was 32. And I started at a local Community College.

I started with Basic Math - just for fun. I had had some very stressful years and was just craving a LOGICAL course with definitive answers. NO ambiguity. LOVED it!

Next I chose classes that were subjects that interested me: Geography, Meterology, Photography.

Of those 4, only one was a day class - and I didn't like it. Too intrusive in my schedule and different 'class' of people - as most were just out of high school. Day classes usually meet several times a week for an hour or two. Night classes usually meet just once a week for 3-5 hours. Night classes at Community College usually attract a more serious group of students (compared to the day classes).

I whole-heartedly encourage you to sign up for a class. To boost your enthusiasm, make it something that you were always interested in. For first time out, I would suggest only registering for one or two classes. Three or four may be too overwhelming for you by the time finals come around - especially if you have kids, a job or a life!

It's surprisingly easy to register for Community College. You can usually find the schedule of classes online. Once you are in the system, you can register for classes online. Depending on the school, you may even be able to do your initial enrollment online.

Not much to lose by taking a class or two - and so much reward to be gained.

I say: "Go for it!!"

-Aude.

• nugget
    nugget

In the UK we have the Open University which allows you to study at home but also gives you interaction with other students from your area through tutorials, online community and study days. I don't know if you have anything similar where you are. The benefit of this is there are a wide variety of courses and levels available and you can fit the study in when it suits you. I'm currently doing a degree in Psychology it's challenging but lots of fun and you meet some really interesting people.

If you need the discipline of the classroom and regular times then adult education courses run through local colleges can be so much fun and you don't have to do something academic if you don't want to. The only downside is that alot of courses start in Sept and October and you may have missed out. Its also a good way to break back into education before taking the plunge.

Think about what really interests you and pursue it you may find it gives you a new direction and focus in your life.

I wish you luck.

• designs
    designs

You will enjoy the experience, even the long study hours. Our minds are built to enjoy new ideas and concepts. I hope your studies lead to existing new venues and career opportunities.

Regards

• fokyc
    fokyc

Hard work but enjoyable, I started with Chemistry and Russian because when I enrolled they had space.

The Chemistry was great, all women except me and another guy, the women were all from a cosmetics company.

The Russian was worth doing as I got a job in Russia shortly afterwards.

Have a go and get started.

fokyc

• lalaa
    lalaa

This fall semster has been my first time in college...Well, community college. I am in 2 classes on tuesday and wednesday nights from 6-9. It goes by really fast and I've met some great people too. The plus side about going at night is that the people are more mature than the daytime students. 90% of the student's in my class are in their late 20's on up. I wouldn't reccoment taking an online course until your second semester. Also community college is very affordable. It's not as intimidating as you think...well they first day is but after that it's great.

I figured if I spent 20 years going to 2 meeting a week at night plus all the studying for the meetings why can't I go to college and get something out of it.

Good Luck!

• yknot
    yknot

All many great points above !

I am once again back in college....(probably will remains so for the rest of my life one way or another)

Anywho..... It is actually quite easy! Yes see you local admission office and counselor for guidance. Go to your local or college library to read up on the entrance exams they give adults and what to expect. Take the test and any remedial courses required (or retest if you were just having a 'stress' moment during testing).....from there take the following course and then the next and the next. Before you know it is graduation.

Many community colleges offer online courses too which in my opinion are easier but in the end it is all about your personal learning style. So decide if you need to be in a proper class versus reading and doing assignments alone. Your local college probably uses 'blackboard' for it's online courses and it is simple to navigate. You can also take 'Clep' to get credit for subject you are proficient!

Start filling out your FASFA to see if you qualify for any federal aid too....... http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Education is something that can never be taken away from you and only makes your resume look better!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit