Who did the Title Christian come from.

by acolytes 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• acolytes
    acolytes

To my understanding Christians are called Christian based on the scripture in Acts 11 V 26.

Reading this scripture I get the impression the title "Christian" was a name given to them by people who were preashed to by them

My question is by whose or what authority does a follower of Christ need be called a Christian.

Acolytes.

• wobble
    wobble

It depends how much weight you put on the Greek word which the Kingdom Interlinear renders "to style divinely".

I notice that many translations simply say that in Antioch they were first called Christians.It is my gut feeling that it was simply an easy label to hang on the disciples,and Luke in Acts was saying they found it acceptable,but I ain't no scholar.

Narkissos where are you, our very dear resident Greek scholar ?

Love

Wobble

• acolytes
    acolytes

Wobble

Thanks for the reply-

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

"Christian" means one who follows Christ. By and large, they have fallen for the scam that they must do what the churches and Kingdumb Hells say Christ would have done in order to attain salvation.

• Chalam
    Chalam

"Christian" means one who follows Christ.

Agreed!

By and large, they have fallen for the scam that they must do what the churches and Kingdumb Hells say Christ would have done in order to attain salvation.

JWs are told they need to follow the WT for salvation. They really should be called Watchtowerarians™

Christ paid the price for salvation, it is a free gift for those who accept it.

Ephesians 2:7-9 (New International Version)

7 in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

Blessings,

Stephen

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

"Christ" is actually a title, not a name; it means "Anointed". However, over time, Paul used the title Christ as the proper name for Yeshua ben Yosef of Nazareth. Whether he originated this usage or reflected a common use, I don't know.

It should be realised that at the time, the Christians were a Jewish sect and part of Judaism. In the latter part of Acts, Paul was still going through a Jewish purification ceremony.

Did the sacking of Jerusalem in AD 70 play a part in creating a marked separation? Did the Christians' use of the (Hebrew) Scriptures play a part (mostly use of the various versions of the LXX)?

How much influence did the primacy of Antioch play in the demarcation between the Jews and the Christian sect? Antioch (Paul's base) was plagued by followers from Jerusalem who were requiring obediance to Jewish ways.

Doug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit