Was Jesus king before 1914? and something he said you did not expect!

by Crazyguy 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

As Jesus was entering the city his followers were declaring him king, Luke 19:

38 “Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!”[a]

“Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”

Also at Rev 1:5 the writer’s prolog to the 7 congregations he says 5 and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.

And here is an unexpected thing Jesus says about his kingship, he's so loving. Luke 19:27New International Version (NIV)

27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.’”

I'll bet there are more scriptures of Jesus saying things we would be shock to read, know of any?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The Bible believers will point out that Luke 19v27 comes at the end of a Parable, so possibly Jesus is wishing to teach by means of Hyperbole, and we should not take the words literally.

A fair enough argument for most Cristian believers, not for JW's who take parables literally (when it suits them) i.e the Faithful Slave.

I think you have started an interesting Thread, it is my gut feeling that Jesus may have spoken of a future judgement time, but that his Kingship was, in his mind, already started ? And in Paul's mind too ? Is it not Paul who speaks of the need to "enter into the Kingdom of the Son...." ? with no hint that such entry would not be for centuries ?

I admit I have done no research on this matter.

• sir82
    sir82

I find Matthew 28:18 even simpler:

"All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth"

Does "all authority" mean "ALL authority" or not?

What is the functional difference between having "ALL authority" and being "king"?

• Divergent
    Divergent
    And why does authority have to be GIVEN to Jesus if Jesus is indeed God, as some Bible believers claim?
  • Magnum
    Magnum

Interesting. Don't have time to chew on it now; at work. Will revisit.

This is an example of why I found Bible reading as a JW frustrating. It seems that JWs don't take the Bible for what it says. They make it say what they think it should to fit their doctrine. They don't open-mindedly and unbiasedly read it and let it lead them to doctrine; they formulate doctrine and make the Bible fit it.

• jhine
    jhine

Phizzy ,I think that you are right .I looked this up in my NIV study Bible and the note for that verse is

" Perhaps a reference toJerusalem's destruction in AD70 "

But that is only.given.as one possible.future explanation

Jan

• prologos
    prologos
    who would be ruling in "--the kingdom of the son of his love" but the son? Col 1:13 in the [then] present, not 1914 future!
  • Terry
    Terry

I finally adopted the attitude regarding the Bible that, as a source of Divine communication, it's a non-starter. Historically, it is an artifice, contrivance, and anomaly. Nobody at the time seemed to have noticed how cut and paste it was--at least to the point they challenged the presupposition it was the foundation of all future 'truthiness.'

The Catholic institution of 'church' dominated the thinking and habits of Christian mankind for fifteen hundred years WITHOUT having to resort to Bible worship.

I would assert it was an emergency stop-gap measure created by the Protestant Reformation which substituted Bible for Magisterium.

Thus began the explosion of opinions passed off as 'holy-spirit-delivered-revelation' which gave us the 40 thousand denominations of today.

• steve2
    steve2

Monarchy, donarchy, sponarchy.

Let the revolution begin! Behead all of those who are set up in crowns and robes and on thrones to rule bloodily over and dominate us weary common folk who cling to kings and queens like mad men cling to medication.

Anarchy rules, okay!

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

(Hebrews 6:20) "....Jesus, who has become a high priest according to the manner of Mel·chiz´e·dek forever.

Jesus was compared with Melchizedek because both were king-priests.

So according to WT doctrine, Jesus was only rewarded with 50% of the likeness of Melchizedek on his return to heaven - and he had to wait until 1914 before he received the other 50%!!

So Paul's description in Hebrews was factually wrong for over 1800 years!

Also, his extolling the uniqueness of Melchizedek and Jesus is seriously misguided, because the Org tells us that there are going to be another 144,000 Melchizedek types to keep Jesus company!

King-priests ain't so special after all!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit