Congregation "Bible Study" Comments - Week Commencing 16 November 2009

by LUKEWARM 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

*** lv chap. 12 pp. 133-143 Speak What "Is Good for Building Up" ***

WORDS THAT ARE "GOOD FOR BUILDING UP"

Q15. What kind of speech "is good for building up"?15 How can we use the gift of speech as the Giver intended? Recall that God's Word urges us to speak "whatever saying is good for building up." (Ephesians 4:29) Jehovah is pleased when we speak words that build up, encourage, and strengthen others. It takes thought to speak such words. The Bible does not provide a set formula to follow; neither does it contain a list of approved types of "wholesome speech." (Titus 2:8) To utter words that are "good for building up," we do well to keep in mind three simple but important factors that characterize upbuilding speech: It is wholesome, it is true, and it is kind. With such factors in mind, let us consider a few specific examples of speech that builds up.-See the box "Is My Speech Upbuilding?" on page 140.

"...we speak words that build up, encourage, and strengthen others"..."...It is wholesome, it is true, and it is kind" - if only the WTS actually applied this to themselves then their record of promoting lies as truth would not have had such a devastating effect on others in this regard

[Box/Picture on page 140]
    IS MY SPEECH UPBUILDING?
    Principle: "Let your utterance be always with graciousness."-Colossians 4:6.
    Some questions to ask yourself
    ? When was the last time I offered someone specific commendation?-1 Corinthians 11:2; Revelation 2:1-3.
    ? Do I express my respect for others by saying please and thank you?-Genesis 13:14; John 11:41.
    ? In conversation, do I speak mainly about myself, or am I also interested in the thoughts and feelings of others?-Philippians 2:3, 4; James 1:19.
    ? Do I use what I know about others as a means to build them up or to tear them down?-Proverbs 15:1, 2.
    ? How do I feel about the use of profanity, and what does my view reveal about what is in my heart?-Luke 6:45; James 3:10, 11.

Q16, 17. (a) Why should we commend others? (b) What opportunities are there to commend others in the congregation? in the family?16 Sincere commendation. Both Jehovah and Jesus recognize the need to speak words of commendation and approval. (Matthew 3:17; 25:19-23; John 1:47) As Christians, we too do well to offer genuine commendation to others. Why? "A word at its right time is O how good!" says Proverbs 15:23. Just ask yourself: 'How do I feel when I receive heartfelt commendation? Does it not warm my heart and lift my spirits?' Indeed, a sincere word of commendation lets you know that someone notices you, that someone cares about you, and that what you did was well worth the effort involved. Such reassurance builds your confidence and motivates you to work even more diligently in the future. Since you appreciate it when you receive commendation, should you not, in turn, do your best to give commendation to others?-Matthew 7:12.

"...motivates you to work even more diligently in the future" - motivated to better themselves to improve the quality of their life or serve the interests of the WTS?

17 Train yourself to look for the good in others, and then give voice to the positive. In the congregation, you may hear a well-developed talk at a meeting, notice a young one who is reaching out for spiritual goals, or observe an older one who is faithful in attending meetings despite the limitations of advancing years. A sincere word of commendation may touch the hearts of such ones and strengthen them spiritually. In the family, husbands and wives need to hear words of warm commendation and appreciation from each other. (Proverbs 31:10, 28) Especially do children thrive on feeling noticed and appreciated. Commendation and approval are to a child what sunshine and water are to a plant. Parents, look for opportunities to commend your children for their praiseworthy qualities and efforts. Such commendation can build courage and confidence in your children and motivate them to try even harder to do what is right.

"...build courage and confidence in your children and motivate them to try even harder to do what is right". - With so many young ones leaving, no wonder they want parents to "especially" encourage children in the WTS way...
    Q18, 19. Why should we do our best to comfort and console fellow believers, and how can we do so?18 Comfort and consolation. Jehovah deeply cares about "the lowly ones" and "the ones being crushed." (Isaiah 57:15) His Word urges us to "keep comforting one another" and to "speak consolingly to the depressed souls." (1 Thessalonians 5:11, 14) We can be sure that God notices and appreciates our efforts to comfort and console fellow believers whose hearts are weighed down with sadness.

"...fellow believers..." - Only JW's?

Where is their application of Jesus words to show love toward all?

19 What, though, can you say to build up a fellow Christian who is discouraged or depressed? Do not feel that you must fix the problem. In many cases, simple words are often the most helpful. Assure the downhearted person of your care and concern. Offer to pray aloud with the discouraged one; you can beseech Jehovah to help that one to know how much he or she is loved by others and by God. (James 5:14, 15) Reassure him that he is needed and valued as a member of the congregation. (1 Corinthians 12:12-26) Read an encouraging Bible verse to assure him that Jehovah truly cares about him as an individual. (Psalm 34:18; Matthew 10:29-31) Taking ample time to share a "good word" with the despondent one and speaking from your heart will no doubt help him to feel loved and appreciated.-Proverbs 12:25.

So basically the advice is, keep praying, attending congregation activities and read the Bibke....In other words, continue to do what we have always told you to do and do more of it!

Q20, 21. What factors make counsel effective?20 Effective counsel. As imperfect creatures, we all need to receive counsel from time to time. The Bible encourages us: "Listen to counsel and accept discipline, in order that you may become wise in your future." (Proverbs 19:20) Giving counsel to others is not limited to the elders. Parents counsel children. (Ephesians 6:4) Mature sisters may need to offer counsel to younger women. (Titus 2:3-5) Love for others moves us to want to give counsel that the recipient can accept without feeling crushed. What can help us to give such counsel? Consider three factors that make counsel more effective: the attitude and motive of the counselor, the basis for the counsel, and the manner in which it is given.

"imperfect creatures" makes humans sound like animals?

"...we all need to receive counsel from time to time..." - Numerous examples on this forum illustrate that the GB proudly refuses to receive or listen to counsel and yet they have the arrogance to point their finger at others?

21 Effective counsel starts with the counselor. Ask yourself, 'When is counsel easy for me to accept?' When you know that the one counseling you cares about you, is not speaking out of personal frustration, and has no ulterior motives, the counsel is easier to accept. So when you counsel others, should not the same things be true of your attitude and motive? Successful counsel is also based on God's Word. (2 Timothy 3:16) Whether directly quoting from the Bible or not, we should have a Scriptural basis for any counsel we give. Thus, elders are careful not to impose their own views on others; neither do they bend or twist the Scriptures, making it seem that the Bible supports some personal view. Counsel is also more effective if it is delivered in the right manner. Counsel that is salted with kindness is easier to accept and lets the one receiving it keep his dignity.-Colossians 4:6.

"Successful counsel is also based on God's Word" - so why do elders and other "spiritually mature" ones constantly replace the plain counsel of the Bible with references to the publications of the WTS - publications that continually go "beyond the things written"?

"...elders are careful not to impose their own views on others; neither do they bend or twist the Scriptures, making it seem that the Bible supports some personal view." - So they point the finger at elders but just like the Pharisees of Jesus time, they are personally responsible for perpetrating the twisting of scriptures to support their views - Hippocrates!!

Q22. What is your determination regarding the use of the gift of speech?22 To be sure, speech is a precious gift from God. Our love for Jehovah should move us to use, not misuse, this gift. Let us remember that the words we speak to others have power-the power to build up or to tear down. Let us, then, strive to use this gift as the Giver intended-"for building up." Our speech will thus be a blessing to those around us and will help us to remain in God's love.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Thanks LW, always good to have an idea what the meeting will be about!

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

So, are they calling this a "Bible Study" now instead of a "Book Study"?

It still looks like a Book Study to me, with the bible as just a footnote.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I guess it can be called a 'bible study' since all WT stuff is of course bible based.....puke....

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Thank you for posting this.

Does anyone else think that Just the fact that they have to have "studies" about being nice to people and offering kind words once in a while shows them up for their true ugly spirit they have most of the time?

Why aren't they being nice ALL the time anyway and displaying Christ's love for others? Peace, Lilly

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

According to the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger, speech is solely so we can go out and proclaim the Washtowel doctrine to everyone in the world (including countries where Muslim is firmly established). Any other use of speech is frivolous and an abuse of the "provision".

Comforting? They need to fix the problem? How about starting by not creating the problems in the first place? If they create the problem, they do indeed have the obligation to fix it without imposing any concessions, as if they did you a favor by fixing the problem after they created it. And I am not accepting any counsel from a group of humanoids, one of whom instructed me to just meet men. If they can't do better than that, I do not trust them to give any better counsel than that p*** poor "solution" to the problem which they worsened.

And no, I do NOT love that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag called God. He has created huge problems, then stopped anyone from successfully removing them--starting with my total inability to attract the opposite sex without Jehovah driving them away from me. (And that's enough.) Then He has the nerve to ask me to do Him favors? That proves to me how STUPID Jehovah really is--and almighty wicked, to boot.

• blondie
    blondie

I never found an elder that didn't precede counsel with commendation. In fact an elder giving me a compliment, that meant it would be shortly followed by counsel. The only way a person could get commendation was to be prepared to get counsel immediately afterwards.

*** w07 9/1 p. 15 Be Alert to the Importance of Commendation ***In imitation of Jesus, we should never condemn an entire group for the failure of a few or give necessary counsel without also giving appropriate commendation. It is good to have in mind, however, that if we give commendation only when we plan to give counsel, our commendation may sometimes fall on deaf ears. Be generous in giving commendation whenever possible! Then, should counsel be needed on another occasion, it will be more readily accepted .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit