"lucky punch"

by inbetween 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• inbetween
    inbetween

after some research and study here on the net and elsewhere, I know, that the doctrine of blood and the treaching of 1914 are not based on the bible, maybe just loosely related,

however why are they so much accepted by JW ?

I think one reason is, because both teachings hit something apparantly right, somehow on accident.

I`ll explain:

1) blood

its a fact, that blood was and is overrated and overused in many hospitals, and that bloodless surgery is indeed the gold standard (whenever possibel of course). Surgery performs better, costs are cut, recovery faster etc...

another fact is, that it is hard to tell afterwards, if blood would have saved somebodys life or on the reverse side, would have killed somebody, who refused...

its a tricky thing, hard to prove one side, and mixed with half-truths and onesided qoutes, you may think, its indeed Gods direction to abstain from blood...

2) 1914

I will not go into the 607 chronology, since I am mayself not sure of either way right now, too much arguments to study (Johnsson, Furuli), needs too much time atm, however, this is only secundary, since fact is, that there is no clear scripture supporting the idea, to extend the prophecy of 7 times to any further application. Its just bogus.

However, with the year 1914 the bible studens hit the nerve. There were many dates in history, which were important, but only a few have the significance of 1914. I like history, and acquired a bit of knowledge about all epochs, but 1914 is just hard to match. Thats why also JW accept it without questioning, how the WTS arrives to that date.

So the question remains: were those doctrines a lucky punch ? Did they just hit the right thing by accident ?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The 1914 war started BEFORE October when Satan was supposed to have been cast down to make trouble and that wasn't what they were predicting anyway.

Nothing that they predicted would happen in 1914, actually happened.

607 is easy. Draw yourself up a list of Neo Babylonian kings showing what years each king reigned in. Use the best sources you can get your hands on. You can even use the WTDC.

The primary reason why any doctrine is believed, and changes accepted, is because they believe that Jesus selected them as God's sole channel of communication in 1919.

Note how the majority of them seem to have accepted the new blood doctrine. If the Catholics had had our current blood rules when I was a kid, my father would have used it as an excuse to slag them off. When the WT changes to the current rules, which would have been abhorrent to him before, he says thank you Jehovah for the new light. Why? Because Jesus selected them as God's sole channel of communication in 1919.

Every arguement you can come up with will not be believed for this one reason. No matter how believable and trustworthy your documentation is, it must be from the devil.

Because Jesus selected them as God's sole channel of communication in 1919.

Every time. Even if they don't come out and say it, that is what they are thinking.

Cheers

Chris

• thomas15
    thomas15

To me, as a Non-JW there is no lucky anything. As far as blood goes the Old Testament probition is on drinking it. It had to do with pagan blood practices. There is about 11 or 12 pints of blood in an adult. If you loose 20% of your blood, the pump (heart) doesn't have enough fluid to keep a pressure high enough to allow perfusion in the body. No perfusion, no life, just that simple. True, you can add saline to the blood stream and increase BP but once you dilute the blood too much perfusion again stops and you have just simply prolonged the inevadable. A problem with transfusions is that the body may reject what it sees as an enemy invasion by using someone elses blood. My neice, after being hit by a car needed numerous transfusions and she had reactions to it but she lived.

It is easy for me to accept what some of you say about blood with respect to the WT, carrying the "No Blood" keyfobs is a way of self identification with a cause, misguided as it may be.

As far as 1914, the few items I have read from the WT from the 1920s say nothing about the 1914 or 1915 date. It is again something they just made up. They had a date and a result and just looked all over the Bible to some way to show the members, just show how cleaver they are to figure out the date. Some of their thinking comes from other church's teachings. I picked up a copy of the WT back in the early 1990s, the cover story was on Noah's Ark. They talked about the size and design of the boat and presented the information as if only the WT is smart enough to figure this out. I recongnized a lot of the comparisons of the ark to a modern freight train car and so forth from a book written in the early 1960s by a scientist Dr. Henry Morris titled The Genesis Flood. The WT stole all their information from an "apostate" book written 30 years earlier.

• peacedog
    peacedog

Re blood: I would suggest that more people were killed by following the WT$ doctrine on blood than would have been otherwise. So how is this a lucky punch?

Re 1914: Since the WT$ was predicting the end of the world for Oct 1914, and, well, we're still here, I don't see anything remotely similar to a lucky punch.

Sorry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit