Did the JW's really get treated better in north Ireland?

by highdose 3 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

I remember hearing about all the trouble there, and how the power factions left the JW's alone though because they knew they were nutral. Now that i'm questioning the rubbish i've been taught all my life, i'm starting to question it too. It certainly would not fit in with everything i've heard that went on there.

Any ideas?

• wobble
    wobble

The P.O (now COBOE) of my ex-Congo, his sister and family live there, and she said that the Catholics and Prods would both warn them to keep the kids indoors when trouble was coming, but they are just one family and may have been an exception.

Love

Wobble

• Tristram
    Tristram

I remember speaking with a Witness couple from Northern Ireland (years ago, mind you, the details are a little hazy) and they said that they were harrassed quite a bit by members of both sides of the conflict because they wouldn't take sides. Never anything physical or abusive, just given some grief. They also said it was basically a no-no to go out after dark in some sections because there would be trouble.

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

no - it is entirely true - i have many "friends" from the North who all told tales of people being nice to them (1st person, not friend of a friend)

The north was a complicated province, and the two sides respected people who were neither for or against.

That being said, the sides only represented a minority of the province - most people wanted to quietly get on with their own lives and stayed away from the conflict as much as they could.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit