Confession

by dssynergy 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

What's up with the limit on posting topics and replies?? Frustrating.

My question has to do with confession. The way I read the literature, it is a suggested practice ~ not a command. The magazines indicated that a person might reason they can just confess to Jehovah because he is the forgiver of sins, but goes on to say that that may not be enough because the person hasn't gotten the spiritual help they need to overcome their sin. However, no where could I find in recent literature that confession to elders was ever required. It is always a strong suggestion. Am I reading it wrong??

The thing I see is that if someone has something they are struggling with, and they slip up ~ the elders are not qualified counselors to help the person examine why they are behaving that way, and to get to the root of it to stop the behavior. It is a very black and white system. There isn't room for people to really resolve their issues.

of course, this comes up because I am currently struggling with some things. And I am working with myself to get to the bottom of the issue ~ but will not be discussing it with the elders or my family or any one else that I might know. I have faded before, and come back. But I think this time, I am going to fade and not come back again. I am enough of a flake and unpredictable enough already at this point that it shouldn't take too long.

I don't mind keeping my opinions to myself, so I don't think I will give myself away. Besides, I think the JWs are probably 80% right about what they teach. But it is that 80/20 principal. It is the 20% that I am not willing to promote or pretend I agree with. They might be right about more than I think. I just wish, that when they were wrong they would say "we were wrong. We have done more studying and here is what we think now" or "Here is our best guess at this time. Future events will bear out if we are correct". I think part of it though too is that if they were that honest, and said that ~ people would FREAK out. People want other people to tell them exactly everything to do, think, or say. And they want definite answers.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    you wrote: People want other people to tell them exactly everything to do, think, or say. And they want definite answers.

I don't think this is true of ALL people, or even MOST people. But certainly, I agree it's true of SOME people. Especially those who chose to stay in such a High Control Group.

If you want more info on JW view of Confession, you may find the postings of our poster by that name: 'Confession'. It was a huge point of awareness for him and he posted some great discussions of the subject when he joined this site.

btw - Welcome to JWN. Nice to have you join the discussion.

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Have Wisdom/Understanding; Dare to Think for Yourself)

• AudeSapere
  • AudeSapere
  • AudeSapere
  • AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

OOPS!!

BAD lag or something wrong with my laptop.

Sorry for over-tagging your post!!

-Aude.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi DSS and welcome!

The magazines indicated that a person might reason they can just confess to Jehovah because he is the forgiver of sins, but goes on to say that that may not be enough because the person hasn't gotten the spiritual help they need to overcome their sin. However, no where could I find in recent literature that confession to elders was ever required.

No surprise "Jehovah" and not Jesus is credited as forgiving sin.

Matthew 9:6 (English Standard Version)

6 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" —he then said to the paralytic— "Rise, pick up your bed and go home."

A cts 2:38 (English Standard Version)

38 And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The spiritual help to overcome sin comes from being born again and receiving the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 5:16-25 (English Standard Version)

Walk by the Spirit
    16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

There are a couple of instances I can see the church records confession of sin, other than to God.

Acts 19:18 (English Standard Version)

18 Also many of those who were now believers came, confessing and divulging their practices.

James 5:15-16 (English Standard Version)

15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

The first seems to be a public repentance of believers. The second seem linked with healing.

Neither mention elders or anything like the kangaroo courts of a JC that occur within the walls of the WT.

Blessings,

Stephen

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    The thing I see is that if someone has something they are struggling with, and they slip up ~ the elders are not qualified counselors to help the person examine why they are behaving that way, and to get to the root of it to stop the behavior. It is a very black and white system. There isn't room for people to really resolve their issues.

Even if you got your wisdom the hard way, through life experience, you display much wisdom with those words - now you need information to go with your wisdom.

No informed person believes it's anywhere near 80/20 (and btw, I said the exact same thing when I decided to quit being a JW).

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Welcome to the board Dssynergy.... take your time and read through as many threads here as you can... there is a very good search engine here to help find subject and topics you concerned about.....

I like going through and reading the BEST OF section... this I found 'very' informative.....

Lillith

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit