Why are they so obsessed with satan?

by doublelife 4 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

My whole family went over my aunt's house for dinner and my aunt showed me the program for my dad's funeral. It made me so mad reading it. It says nothing about my dad and the back page has a few paragraphs glorifying satan. Of coarse I couldn't complain without telling everyone I'm an apostate so I settled for complaining over the grammatical errors. Looking at the schedule, it shows the service will begin and end with a song. I'm not going to sing. I didn't realize they were going to take it that far. I'm pretty sure all the women are going to pretend we're at a kingdom hall and wear dresses. I'm thinking of wearing a pair of black pants instead, just to piss them off. If they have something to say about it, I'll just tell them that this isn't a kingdom hall and my dad was not a witness so it shouldn't matter that I'm not in a dress. I thought I would post what was written on the back page, complete with grammatical errors and all, so you can see what I'm dealing with.

"Emotional illness is so unpredictable and painful. When a loved one suffers from it we all suffer. Sometimes there seem to be no way to free ourselves from this curse. All that is left is to hope and endure.

We will now look foreword to the resurrection when all those in the memorial tombs will hear Jesus' voice and come out.(John 5:28)

We will choose to remember all the good things about our dear brother's life. We know he loved us all and was always willing to help when he could. How we wished we could have helped him more! The reason our brother is gone is Satan fault. He has been trying to destroy all from the beginning. It now must be our resolve to warn as many people as possible what a wicked, evil, no named person he is with only a title for him to be known by. How wonderful it will be when he is destroyed forever and our Great God Jehovah will "wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning no outcry nor pain be anymore."(Rev.21:4)

Sometime we go through life worrying about what job we will have, how much money we can make, what kind of car we will drive, where our next vacation will be or, how much or what kind of material things we will collect. All of this is futile since this system of things will soon be destroyed along with Satan and his demons. What we all need to do now, while we still can, is "put off every weight and the sin that easily entangles us and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."(Heb.12:1)

As it is written "may our love abound yet more and more with accurate knowledge and full discernment, that you may make sure of the more important things."(Phil. 1:9 & 10)"

You know, it's pretty pathetic that this mentions satan more than it does the person who died. Even my husband thought it was too extreme and was making fun of it. On our way back home I told my husband that it makes me mad that everyone assumes he DA'd because of his mental problems and that he may have had good reasons for not wanting to be a witness. Then he got condescending and said, "He wasn't in his right mind. If I told everyone I was Santa Claus, that doesn't make it true." I just rolled my eyes at him and told him that analogy is not the same thing and doesn't make sense. While I was over there my uncles where talking about how they never expected to retire in this system and if they had of know, they may have done things differently. At one point, I was able to express some anti-jw talk. They got on the subject of it being hard to find non-violent entertainment. I made the comment that you can't even read the bible and escape violence. It was so funny to see everyone agree at first. My cousin even admitted to being scared of the burning bush story when she was a kid. My other aunt talked about how it was hard to teach her grandkids the story of Cain and Abel and explaining how one could kill their brother. All I did was make one comment and everyone went with it and then they realized they we speaking negatively about the bible and tried to backtrack. One of my uncle was like, "Well, there's nothing wrong with teaching your kids the truth." My other uncle said, "The bible story pictures were provided through Jehovah's channel so it can't be that bad." At least I was able to find a way to amuse myself.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Satan is a fear tactic. It gives dubbies something to watch out for and distracts their attention away from the false prophecies and other evils of the Watchtower.

So sorry you're going through this. The sad truth is that your father's mental illness may not have been caused by the Watchtower, but his condition was probably made worse by it.

• Robdar
    Robdar

It keeps them in line.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses are programmed to be afraid of Satan and the demons. So, the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger exploits this. You mess up, you make Satan happy. You don't go out in field circus because you have to work or you are very sick, you make Satan happy. You are not paying full attention at the boasting session, you make Satan happy. You go in at 4 PM from field circus instead of staying out up to the boasting session because you have housework to do, you make Satan happy. You slow down so you can safely navigate tricky stairs, you make Satan happy. You are not in your seats when the "music(??)" at the Grand Boasting Session starts, you make Satan happy. You break one of the many rules and directives at boasting sessions, you make Satan happy. You do not find a call home, you make Satan happy.

As if that wasn't bad enough, you risk getting possessed. All it takes is to miss a couple of boasting sessions, or write only 269 letters instead of 270, or make one small mistake in one of those letters, or blow a call--and Satan will possess you. Or, if you have any object with common designs, it could attract the demons. They use that card to keep fun out of the picture and force others people to do ever more field circus and avoid thinking for themselves.

Notably, I have plenty of Christmas songs--I have only seen one song even mention Satan, and then once (and they mention Jesus all the time). Most regular church music also mentions Jesus many times and Satan rarely, if at all. It's all about keeping people in line.

Not to mention that, given that Satan was trying to free mankind from God's tyranny (which was above and beyond the call of duty), even at risk of getting in big trouble, being attacked by Satan is not realistic. And, the demons only wanted the freedom to do something other than what Jehovah tells them--another thing that is not likely to lead to attacks on mankind.

• carla
    carla

Not one mention of Christ and His sacrifice, forgiveness of sins, etc.... yeah, I know it's a dubby thing but surely there must have been some non witness there? Don't they want to appear even a little bit Christian?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit