'Holy' water not so holy after all!

by Caedes 5 Replies latest social current

• Caedes
    Caedes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8356019.stm

The outbreak of the H1N1 virus has led many churches to suspend the tradition of having holy water in open fonts into which people dip their hands.
    The new machine works like an automatic soap dispenser, squirting water when a hand is passed under the tap.

Hmm, maybe they aren't really so sure it is 'holy' when it comes down to it. 'No atheists in foxholes'? More like no true believers in a flu scare.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Holiness has nothing to do with the physical properties, other than that it represents spiritual realities. It is a sacramental, not an antiseptic.

BTS

• White Dove
    White Dove

It is the intent put into the water, not the germs that make it holy or not.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

As a true, blind believer...it would seem reasonable the the water had been 'purified' in the 'holy' process.

I wasn't aware that everyone was/is expected to dip their fingers in it. Geez...I wonder how many believers over the centuries became dead believers due to unsanitary religious practices ??

• Caedes
    Caedes

So if the act of turning the water into 'holy' water is just symbolic are the germs and bacteria in the water 'holy' or not?

What are 'spiritual realities'?

How do you put intention into water?

• besty
    besty

Holy Cow Caedes - you are asking rational questions to an irrational audience.

I've attended NAB in Las Vegas several times - its the worlds biggest trade show for the broadcast industry. Takes the whole Las Vegas Convention Center and has about 150,000 attendees, maybe 2000 exhibitors. Anyways about 100,000 sq ft are dedicated to Technologies For Worship - it's big business ya know.

Perhaps technology and religion are the newest un-holy alliance. When you have motion detecting holy water dispensers the sky is the limit....oh wait...the sky is not the limit.....oh never mind....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit