Human sacrifices...

by Celia 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Celia
    Celia

Good morning all...
    Just had another thought this morning :
    As JWs don't come knocking at my door anymore (I wonder why?)
    I can't ask them this question.
    What do you think they would say to that :
    "I know that JWs refuse to have blood transfusions, for themselves and their children, even when this procedure would save their life.
    Is that a commandment of your god ? Then, imo. your god is not better than the pagan gods of old, who required human sacrifices, children sacrifices, to be satisfied...

• cellomould
    cellomould

hi Celia,

You do recall the account of Abraham and Isaac?

God 1st asked him to ascend the mountain to sacrifice his son, then withdrew his petition.

But later when other people practiced child sacrifice, it was viewed as "evil". In fact, God was quoted as saying 'the thought had never even occured to me'.

That must have been someone other than you speaking to Abraham, then, God Jehovah? (ooh I get still get chills being so brazen --- maybe its the demons tickling my spine )

The thing is, the argument against the child sacrificers goes something like 'well, it was a special case in which Jehovah tested Abraham's faith'. But weren't the other nations also pleasing their respective gods and proving their faith?

I've got nothing against you, Jehovah, just those who have claimed to speak for you and make you out to be a jealous bastard.

amen,
    cellomould

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• Francois
    Francois

As noted above in response to Englishman, perhaps the problem IS in the concept of Jehovah after all. And there were plenty of "pagans" who did not sacrifice to their gods. After all, after the church came along and wiped out all the "pagans" it was they who were left alive to write the histories. So naturally they painted the pagans as child-sacrificers, wantons, devil worshippers, blood drinkers, and litterers. And then it wasn't too long after that the church sponsored the Inquisition. I'm impressed.

I believe, with Lao-Tzu, that "the God you can name is not the eternal God." Jehovah is most definitely a name, so he ain't him.

My two cents.

Francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit